This stick on/peel off DIY lip mask to plump your lips is inspired by all the lip mask patches I see popping up in beauty stores like Sephora and Ulta and on Instagram.
Like the KNC Beauty All Natural Collagen Infused Lip Mask.
With one important difference.
This DIY Lip Mask doesn’t contain collagen
Do you know what a main source of collagen is? It’s bones.
I could have just as easily made this lip mask with gelatin. But I wanted to make a plant-based, vegan version.
That’s why I use agar agar powder as a base.
Agar agar powder is made from seaweed. It’s a popular vegetarian alternative for gelatin that has the same ability to turn water into a jelly-like consistency.
You can get agar agar in powder, flakes and strings. I used the powder kind. The amount of agar agar you need for this recipe might change depending on the kind you use.
In my opinion the collagen part isn’t necessary anyways to make your lips feel plump and hydrated. The coconut oil will do that for you!
And if that isn’t a compelling enough reason for you to DIY your own lip mask, here’s another one.
This DIY Lip Mask is incredibly easy to make
You only need a few cheap kitchen ingredients and there are only a few easy steps you need to follow to make your own homemade lip mask.
You can literally make this lip mask in minutes.
The soft jelly mask will slip perfectly over your lips. While it sits the coconut oil will moisturize your lips, making them feel soft and plump.
Now you can just glide your lipstick over your lips and rock the rest of your day.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon agar agar powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch pink beet root powder (for color)
1. Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
2. Add agar agar powder. Stir to combine and let the water boil for another minute.
3. Add a pinch of beet root powder. Stir to combine the color evenly throughout the mixture.
4. Take the agar agar mixture off the heat and stir in the coconut oil until the oil is dissolved.
5. Pour onto a large plate and let it spread into a thin layer. Let the mixture set for about 30 minutes or until cool and firm.
To get the pink color you can also try pink dragon fruit (pitaya) powder or pink cosmetic mica. Or you can leave it out and make a see through lip mask.
This recipe makes 1 to 2 lip masks to share with a friend. Use this lip mask right away. I don't recommend keeping leftovers as the water mixture will spoil fast.
How To Use this DIY Lip Mask:
If you have very dry, chapped lips, use a DIY lip scrub first.
Just like a lip mask patch, you stick this homemade lip mask over your lips and let it do the work for you.
Let it sit for 10 minutes or until you’ve had enough. Pull it back off and reveal soft, hydrated and plump lips.
Instructions for a Homemade Lip Mask:
- Cut out the shape of lips from the jelly with a sharp kitchen knife. Make sure to make the mask big enough. The mask should fit comfortably over your lips and some more.
- Make a slit in the middle. Keep the edges but make a slit right in the middle. This will help the mask bend over your lips.
- Peel the lip mask from the plate. Carefully place the mask over your lips.
- Pat the mask down with your fingertips. If you’ve made the mask thin enough it should stay put. If it keeps sliding off, you can lay down or sit back and relax. The mask should be firm and flexible and a little sticky from the oil.
- Let the lip mask sit for 10 to 15 minutes. In this time the oils will start to infuse your lips. Keep your lips closed and breathe through your nose.
- Peel the lip mask from your lips. The mask should easily slip off. Wipe away any excess oil that’s left on your lips with a cotton pad or wash cloth.
- Enjoy your soft, plump lips!
Do you like these inspired DIY tutorials? Check out my Book DIY Beauty!
In this book you’ll find 100 recipes to make your own beauty products inspired by popular brands and products.