Make your own unicorn body lotion with a few simple, natural ingredients.
Who doesn’t love unicorns?!?!?!
Seriously, unicorns can do nothing wrong. They are magical. Beyond cute. And they only leave glitter and rainbows behind.
Let’s forget for a moment that they may or may not be fictional characters. Cause we all know there’s a hidden unicorn in all of us.
This cute unicorn body lotion recipe can help bring it out of you!
Made with only all natural ingredients, this is a great DIY beauty product if you suffer from allergies or have really sensitive skin.
I colored this unicorn body lotion with cosmetic mica powders. I used all the colors I have in my stash: an irridescent pearl mica to add some glitter, a purple mica which turned into a beautiful lavender color, a gold mica and of course a pink mica powder.
Fun fact about mica powders: they will end up everywhere! I always try my hardest not to spill any of my precious mica powders, but there’s always some that manages to end up on my fingers, countertop, my face …
Just a little heads up so you know you can expect finding glitter in the oddest of places after you’ve made this diy unicorn body lotion!
If you’re wondering how I made that cute little unicorn horn that’s sitting on top of my unicorn body lotion, here’s a quick tutorial.
How to make the Unicorn Horn:
(Scroll down for the unicorn body lotion recipe)
What you’ll need:
1. Mix equal parts of the body wash, bubble bath or Castile soap and corn starch in a bowl.
2. Use your hands to ‘knead’ the ingredients until the mixture start to form a dough. You can add more soap/corn starch until you get the right consistency.
3. Now you can use this soap dough like a regular clay or dough. Pull off two small balls of ‘dough’ and roll them into little sausages. Lay one on top of the others do twist both sides around each other.
4. Give your little soap dough unicorn horn time to air dry (it’s best to leave it dry out overnight). Once the unicorn horn is dry, you can paint it with golden mica or edible glitter dust.
Mix a drop of rubbing alcohol with some gold mica or edible glitter dust (also known as lustre). Dip a paint brush in the mixture and evenly coat the horn with a layer of gold dust. Let air dry.
For a quick tutorial on how to make your own body butter or lotion, here’s a video-tutorial I made:
Unicorn Body Lotion Recipe
A hint of glitter, a hint of sparkle ... this homemade body lotion will make you glow!
This DIY recipe makes about 5 ounces of your very own unicorn body lotion.
- 1/4 cup (1.6 oz) avocado butter (or Shea butter)
- 1/4 cup (1.8 oz) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (1.4 oz) grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon (0.2 oz) vitamin E oil (optional)
- 3 different colors cosmetic mica
Melt avocado butter in a double boiler or on a low setting in the microwave.
Take the melted avocado butter off the heat and stir in the coconut oil.
Add grapeseed and stir to combine all of the ingredients. Pour in a mixing bowl and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
Cover the bowl and put in the fridge to speed up the process.
Once the mixture has thickened, add the vitamin E oil.
You can also add a few drops of essential oil if you want at this point.
I also added 1 teaspoon of pearl mica to the mixture.
Use an electric whisk to whip the mixture into a lotion. Use a low setting. I prefer to use a mixer with a lid.
Divide the whipped body lotion over three smaller bowls.
Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of a colored mica to each bowl. Stir well to evenly distribute the color.
Scoop the colored lotions into a jar, layering different colors.
I recommend storing your homemade body lotion in a dark, airtight container.
This recipe is made without water, so it doesn't necessarily need a preservative. Keep all water out of the container and use clean fingers or a spoon or spatula to scoop the product out.
If you want, you can add a broad spectrum preservative to this recipe.
And if you like this DIY than don’t forget to put a pin on it!