DIY Geode Bath Bombs – THE ORIGINAL RECIPE

Remember my Geode bath salt melts?

They are so simple and easy to make and the result is just phenomenal!
Even if I say so myself, he he πŸ™‚

Ever since the day I made these I’ve wanted to take them to the next level.

And now I have.

That’s why I present to you: my DIY Geode BATH BOMBS!

These beauties are half bath salt melt, half bath bomb.

The silver/gold bottom makes the bath fizzies look just like real rocks and the gold makes them look out of this world!

Update: I’ve been seeing a lot of video and other tutorials pop up on the web that look pretty similar to my recipe. I guess I should consider it an honor that people are duping me πŸ™‚ It’s always possible that someone happens to have the same idea, but given how similar these recipes are to my video tutorial, I don’t think that’s the case for most of these. Anyways, it’s always polite to give proper credit to a fellow blogger. That said, I love it when people try this recipe out and share the result with me, so make sure to tag me on Instagram @healthy.happy.ina or leave a comment!

How To make DIY Geode Bath Bombs

What I used:

3 tbsp. epsom salt/ coarse sea salt/dead sea salt – Get it here
    1 tbsp. coconut oil – Get it here
    food or soap coloring – Get it here

1/2 cup baking soda – Get it here
    1/4 cup citric acid – Get it here
    1/4 cup corn starch – Get it here
    1/2 to 1 tbsp of rubbing alcohol
    a few drops of essential oil (optional) – Get it here

This recipe makes about 6 Geode Bath Bombs depending on the size of your molds.

(This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are, of course, my own.)

How to make your own:

First we make the bath bomb

Combine your dry ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of citric acid and 1/4 cup of corn starch to a bowl. Mix well.

Add a few drops of essential oil if you want to give your bath bombs a nice scent. I used rose geranium essential oil and added about 6 drops. You can change the amount to your personal preferences.

Next you’ll need to add your wet ingredient. Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol to the dry mixture. The amount of liquid you need largely depends on the humidity in the air.

Carefully add small amounts of rubbing alcohol and stir to combine. If the mixture starts to fizz in the bowl you’ve added too much.

At this point I’m not adding any oil yet. To add the bath salts to the bath bomb you’ll need plenty of coconut oil.

Fill one half of a round bath bomb mold with the mixture. Push the mixture to the edges so the sides are higher than the middle part. The edges will look a little rough and unfinished.

Give the bath bombs time to dry. I let them set in their molds. Once they have hardened they should fall right out of their mold.

These look so beautiful! How To make your own DIY Geode Bath Bombs! Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

Transform your bath bomb into geode bath bombs

Now it’s time to add the bath salt melt geode part.

Put 3 tbsp. of bath salts in a bowl. I used a combination of Epsom salt, dead sea salt and coarse sea salt, but you can use just one kind or mix your own favorites.

I’ve noticed that dead sea salt doesn’t absorb coloring as well as other salts, but Epsom salt or sea salt works great!

Scoop out about 1/3 of the bath salts in a separate bowl. Add a drop of food or soap coloring of your choice and stir well to combine. Make sure all of the coloring is distributed evenly over the bath salts.

I made 1 batch with a drop of blue soap coloring and 1 with red soap coloring, which turned out a pretty pastel pink color.

You can also use pink himalayan salt in the middle if you don’t have coloring or don’t want to use it to keep it all natural.

Set aside to let the salts soak up all the dye.

Melt the coconut oil in a microwave or double boiler. The oil should be completely melted but not piping hot.

Back to the bath salts. Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the regular salts on top of each bath bomb. Distribute evenly so the top of the bath bomb is covered with bath salts.

Next scoop about 1/2 teaspoon of the colored salts in the middle. The desired effect should be that the outside of the geode looks white/transparent and the inside looks colored.

To make the bath salts stick we are going to use the coconut oil. Drizzle no more than 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil over the bath salts on each bath bomb. Each drop of coconut oil will secure the bath salts in place. Use as little coconut oil as possible, because the more oil you add the less the bath bomb will fizz.

Set aside to let the coconut oil solidify. Put them in the fridge to speed up the process. Once it has the bath salts should stick to the bath bomb.

Note: this only works if coconut oil is solid at room temperature where you live. If it won’t solidify properly try adding Shea butter to the coconut oil before you melt it.

Make it rock

Now your bath bomb is starting to look like a geode it’s time for the finishing touch.

I added some silver and gold edible glitter dust to the outside of the bath bomb to make it look even more like a rock.

To paint your bath bombs mix a pinch of edible glitter with a drop of rubbing alcohol.

It takes some time to paint each and every bath bomb from top to bottom so you can choose to skip this step or only paint the top outer rim of the geode bath bomb.

Dip a fine paint brush in the glitter “paint” and paint the sides with even strokes.

Give the paint some time to dry and they are ready to be packaged as a gift or used all by yourself!

Enjoy!

I’ve also made a quick video tutorial of these DIY Geode Bath Bombs, so it’s easier for you to follow along with this recipe.

This version is the old recipe where I used a lot more coconut oil to keep the epsom salt in place. It makes the bombs a little heavier, and some of you commented that it didn’t give the fizz you’d want or expect. That’s why I adapted the recipe, as I found you actually don’t need to use that much coconut oil.

[recipe title=”DIY Geode Bath Bombs” difficulty=”You rock at DIYing”]
Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. epsom salt/ coarse sea salt/dead sea salt
1 tbsp. coconut oil
food or soap coloring

1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup citric acid
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 to 1 tbsp of rubbing alcohol
a few drops of essential oil (optional)

This recipe makes about 6 Geode Bath Bombs.

Instructions:

Combine the baking soda, citric acid and corn starch in a bowl. Mix well.

Add a few drops of essential oil (optional).

Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol to the dry mixture. Carefully add small amounts of rubbing alcohol and stir to combine. Check the mixture regularly by taking a handful in the palm of your hand and squeezing it together. The mixture should clump together.

Fill one half of a round bath bomb mold with the mixture. Push the mixture to the edges so the sides are higher than the middle part. Give the bath bombs time to dry and take them out of their molds.

Put the bath salts in a bowl. Scoop out about 3 teaspoons of bath salts in a separate bowl. Add a drop of food or soap coloring and stir well to combine. Set aside to let the salts soak up all the dye.

Scoop about half a teaspoon of the regular salts on top of each bath bomb. Distribute evenly so the top of the bath bomb is covered with bath salts.

Next scoop a few colored salts in the middle. Melt the coconut oil in a microwave or double boiler. Drizzle about half a teaspoon of coconut oil over the bath salts. Set aside to let the coconut oil solidify.

To paint the outside of your bath bombs mix a pinch of edible glitter with a drop of rubbing alcohol. Dip a fine paint brush in the glitter β€œpaint” and paint the sides with even strokes.

Enjoy!

[/recipe]

You might also like these Geode inspired DIY Ideas:

My Agate look-a-like Bath Salt Melts recipe also uses Epsom salt:

These look so BEAUTIFUL! How To make your own DIY Agate inspired bath salt melts, the perfect Christmas gift for Secret Santa! Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

And both of these DIY tutorials were inspired by my original Geode inspired Bath Salt Melts:

These look so Beautiful! DIY GEODE Bath Salt Melts with Epsom salt. Easy How To Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

1. Pingback: 22 Gorgeous DIY Bath Bomb Recipes that Smell Amazing | Just Bright Ideas

2. Deb Fadeley 8 August 2017 at 14:15

where did you get the edible glitter dust? I bought some from Wilton but it doesn’t mix into the alcohol so it ends up leaving clumps on the outside of my bath bombs.

1. Jeanette 18 December 2017 at 07:21

I just ordered some on Amazon. You can more than likely buy them at a cake speciality store. Definitely on Amazon though. If you have Amazon Prime, you will receive them within two days.

3. Miss.S 12 August 2017 at 01:10

How can i search for the molds??? For the life of me I can’t find them. Thanks so much !
    Cannot wait to try this out with my nannykid <3

1. Jeanette 18 December 2017 at 06:24

Amazon has them. You can find them with crafts or the plastic ones in Christmas Balls. (Take apart plastic Christmas Balls). If you have Amazon Prime, you will receive them within two days.

4. Barb 23 August 2017 at 00:15

What are the molds? Thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 23 August 2017 at 18:18

As a mold I used one side of a plastic Christmas ornament … they make THE BEST bath bomb molds. You can find them here on Amazon for example.

5. katharine paul 30 August 2017 at 19:53

This was terrible waste of my time and my supplies did not work at all!

1. The Makeup Dummy 30 August 2017 at 21:07

Hi Katharine, can you tell me what exactly went wrong? Maybe I can help.

6. Sam 10 September 2017 at 16:30

About how long did they need to sit in the molds before they are dry?

1. The Makeup Dummy 11 September 2017 at 12:48

I like to let them sit overnight, just to be sure.

7. Sharon 12 October 2017 at 20:55

They are pretty!! I have left out the alcohol and corn starch….have any idea how I can remake my bombs???

8. Pingback: 15 DIY Bath Bombs That Make The Perfect Christmas Gift - Crafts On Fire

9. Misty 12 November 2017 at 14:38

I’m on a grain-free eating plan. Since our skin absorbs everything we come into contact with, does tapioca flour/starch work in place of corn starch? Thanks for posting these! All the ladies in my family will adore these for Christmas this year!

1. The Makeup Dummy 15 November 2017 at 21:48

Hi Misty, arrowroot powder is commonly used as an alternative for corn starch in bath bombs, and that’s naturally gluten free/grain free. Tapioca flour should work too, but I’ve never tried it myself. I love getting handmade gifts for Christmas, your family is very lucky! πŸ™‚

10. Melissa 27 November 2017 at 04:44

These are beautiful. Does the food coloring not stain your skin?

11. Kiersten 11 December 2017 at 16:16

My sister in law LOVES bath bombs and these are so pretty! Are they extremely hard to do? I’m good at following instructions, but is there more of a technique that has to be there along with the instructions? If that makes any sense lol! I just don’t want to count on making these for her Christmas present and then I’m not able to do them correctly and have no time to get her something else!

1. The Makeup Dummy 11 December 2017 at 19:13

Hi Kiersten, thank you! No difficult techniques are involved in my opinion πŸ™‚ the hardest part I guess is making the bath bomb itself, which can be tricky if you’ve never made them before (they can always start to fizz in the bowl or crumble afterwards) Maybe this could work: you can buy the ingredients and try to make your own. If everything fails, you can give her the rest of the ingredients in a cute packaging as a gift, maybe with a few printed recipes, so she can experiment with making her own! πŸ™‚

12. Ali 14 December 2017 at 22:35

Hey is there an alternative to coconut oil, if so what is it?

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 December 2017 at 18:55

Hi Ali, in this recipe it’s difficult to substitute the coconut oil since coconut is the only oil that solidifies at room temperature. You can try Shea butter, but I haven’t tried this myself yet πŸ™‚

13. Anita 30 December 2017 at 20:56

These are beautiful. I tried them and they got completely stuck in the molds. I waited 2 days to try and unmold them- no luck. I washed out the stuff from one of the plastic molds and it was completely etched. I must have done something wrong, even though I thought I followed the directions. Any suggestions? I am going to try again and do half with out pressing as hard into the molds and the other part using plastic wrap to line the molds before filling.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

1. The Makeup Dummy 2 January 2018 at 18:52

Hi Anita, my guess is they were a little too wet and started to fizz and the reaction caused the mixture to adhere to the mold. Don’t let that discourage you! If you notice they fall out of there mold easily you can also take them out and set them aside to dry.

1. Anita 11 January 2018 at 21:48

Thanks, I tried again with plastic wrap in the molds- no problem getting them out that way. I was careful with my liquid amount too. I just need to fancy the outside a little with the painted glitter. Too cool! thanks for the great project!!

1. The Makeup Dummy 11 January 2018 at 21:49

That’s great news! Thanks for sharing 😘

14. Kris Wolff 8 January 2018 at 08:03

After you make the bath bomb in the mold when you transform it into a geode do you use another mold for that or do you just form it on the outside freehand?

15. Darby 11 January 2018 at 19:36

Hey there im just curious if you have to use them right away or can they be stored and used later?

1. The Makeup Dummy 11 January 2018 at 20:45

Hi Darby, you can definitely store them and use them later!

16. Tara 17 January 2018 at 16:11

This is looks so cool! Do you make specific recommendations for scent? I am a newbie to essential oils and so am lost beyond the typical lavendar, etc. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

17. Pingback: 31 Best DIY Bath Bombs For Spa Day at Home - The Goddess

18. Siobhan 7 February 2018 at 07:36

Hi, I’ve started to make these bombs but when it comes to testing them out, half of the salt from the geode falls out… I’m doing exactly what the recipe says with the coconut oil and it does work for some of the salt. How can I ensure ALL of the salts stick?

19. Kendall 14 February 2018 at 14:34

Hi, when I popped my bath bombs out of the mold all the salts came off in one chunk, and then the bombs began crumbling. I thought I did very well with following the directions and I let them set in the freezer overnight. Help! Thanks! Otherwise, great tutorial and beautiful idea!

20. tina 24 March 2018 at 09:43

wonder if it would be easier to paint the outside of the bath bomb before adding the salt mixture? has anyone tried it

21. megan 29 March 2018 at 23:21

Hi, i love all of your designs. I was wondering how long are all of the bath bombs and soaps you make ‘good for’ or how long is there shelf life if i give them as a gift? x

22. Pingback: DIY GEODE BATH BOMB TEST ~ Varied Visions

23. siena 9 April 2018 at 05:55

can you use water insread of rubbing alcohol

1. The Makeup Dummy 9 April 2018 at 06:07

Yes! Or witch hazel

24. Pingback: DIY Perfect Bath Bombs – My Book Reviews and DIY's

25. Pingback: DIY Perfect Bath Bombs – My Book Reviews and DIY's

26. Melissa 4 May 2018 at 19:36

Still wondering if you use food coloring why it does not stain your skin? Is it because of the oils added to the geode?

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 May 2018 at 22:16

The amount I use is so small, that once you dissolve it in a bath tub filled with water it won’t stain your skin πŸ™‚

27. Pingback: How to Make Bath Bombs - All For Fashions - fashion, beauty, diy, crafts, alternative health

28. Paige 23 June 2018 at 23:02

The link for the edible glitter doesn’t work =( Can you share what the brand is so that I can try and find it?

1. The Makeup Dummy 24 June 2018 at 14:30

Thank you so much for letting me know Paige! I updated the link. I use this brand called ‘Rainbow Dust’ with great success. You can also use mica if you want!