DIY Bath Bombs with Epsom Salt

This is a fun twist on the classic DIY bath bombs recipe.

If you’ve never made your own bath bombs before, I can highly recommend it! DIY bath bombs are a lot easier to make than you’d expect, and you can customize them with your own, scents and colors.

Just like I did with this recipe. Instead of coloring the mixture, I colored the salts. The effect turned out even better than I could have imagined!

Choose your favorite color (Pink or blue for a baby shower? Red and green for Christmas?). Add your favorite essential oils and you have the perfect homemade gift.

Or keep them all for yourself. Because these DIY bath bombs are the perfect relaxing spa treat!

This recipe makes about 1 giant bath bomb (LUSH size) or about 3 medium sized ones. You can easily double or triple the ingredients to make more.

Follow along these easy steps, or scroll down for a printable recipe.

How to make DIY Bath Bombs with Epsom salt:

What I used:

• 3 tbsp. Epsom salt (or coarse sea salt) – Get it here
  • 1/2 cup baking soda – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup citric acid – Get it here
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil – Get it here
  • spraying bottle with witch hazel or water – Get it here
  • liquid food or soap coloring – Get it here
  • essential oils (optional) – Get it here

• To help you find the ingredients you need for this tutorial Iโ€™ve added links in this post to places you can find them online. Iโ€™m part of the Amazon affiliate program so I get a small commission when you buy something via these links. For me itโ€™s a win-win and I spend that money to make more bath bomb tutorials for you ๐Ÿ™‚ But feel free to Google the ingredients to find your own or buy them from local vendors in your area!

Easy Epsom Salt Bath Bombs  DIY by The Makeup Dummy

1. Color your salts

Divide 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt between 2 bowls. Add one drop of food or soap coloring to one bowl and add a drop of another color to the other. Add more drops for a more intense color. Stir to evenly distribute the color over the salts.

Let the salts sit while they soak up the dye.

Divide the salts over more batches if you want to use more colors.

2. Combine your dry ingredients

Put the baking soda, cornstarch and citric acid in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with a spoon or fork.

This would also be the time to add your essential oils. I used 6 drops of ylang-ylang and 6 drops of lavender.

Lavender is a great choice for its relaxing properties and ylang-ylang has a beautifully sweet scent.

3. Add the coconut oil

Add 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut oil to your dry mixture. Mix all the ingredients together and make sure to smooth out all the lumps.

If you want you can melt the coconut oil first. This will make it easier to mix the oil with the rest of the ingredients.

If for some reason you prefer to not use coconut oil (for example if you’re allergic), you swap it with another carrier oil, like olive oil or almond oil.

4. Spritz with witch hazel

Take a handful of the mixture and squeeze it together with your fingers in the palm of your hand. The powder should clump together.

If it doesn’t you can spritz it lightly with some water (or witch hazel) in a spraying bottle.

Stir well between each spritz and make sure the mixture doesn’t start to fizz in the bowl! Check regularly to see if the mixture clumps together.

Once the mixture looks like damp sand, it’s ready.

5. Create your DIY bath bombs

Add the colored salts to the batch. Carefully stir the salts into the mixture.

I put a few salts at the bottom of my mold because, well, it looks pretty! Fill your mold one spoonful at a time. Press the mixture down firmly after each scoop.

Easy Epsom Salt Bath Bombs DIY by The Makeup Dummy

Let your mold sit for a few hours or – if you can wait long enough – overnight. Carefully take the bath bomb out of its mold and wrap as a gift or keep for yourself!

Here’s a printable version for you to enjoy:

[recipe title=”DIY Bath Bombs with Epsom Salt” difficulty=”easy”]

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. Epsom salt (or coarse sea salt)
    1/2 cup baking soda
    1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
    1/4 cup citric acid

1 tbsp coconut oil
    spraying bottle with witch hazel
    liquid food or soap coloring
    essential oils (optional)

Instructions:

Step 1:

Divide the epsom salt between 2 bowls. Add one drop of food or soap coloring to each bowl and stir well to evenly distribute the color. Let the salts sit while they soak up the dye.

Step 2:

Combine the baking soda, corn starch and citric acid in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with a spoon. Add a few drops of essential oil while you keep stirring.

Step 3:

Add the (melted) coconut oil to your dry mixture. Mix all the ingredients together and make sure to smooth out all the lumps.

Step 4:

Take a handful of mixture and squeeze it in the palm of your hand. Spray the mixture with some witch hazel until it clumps together. Stir well between each spritz!

Step 5:

Add the colored salts to the batch and carefully mix together. You can keep a few teaspoons of salt and put them at the bottom of your mold.

Press the mixture down firmly as you fill your mold. Let it sit for a few hours. Carefully take the bath bomb out of its mold.

Enjoy!

Ina

Go to www.themakeupdummy.com for more DIY Beauty recipes!

[/recipe]

If you like this DIY then don’t forget to put a pin on it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Make your own amazing LUSH inspired DIY Bath Bombs! Copycat tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

You might also like:

How To make DIY bath bomb melts that smell like Birthday cake! Tutorial and recipe by The Makeup Dummy

How-To-make-Intergalactic-Galaxy-Bath-Bomb-Fizzies-inspired-by-LUSH-its-easy-cheap-and-fun-to-make-yourself-Tutorial-by-The-Makeup Dummy

These look so cute! How To DIY Unicorn Poop Bath Bombs! Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

1. Tina 7 August 2016 at 19:09

We’re do u get citric acid

1. Elly 2 September 2016 at 09:37

I buy mine from Heirloom just google it.

1. Cameron 17 December 2017 at 19:28

Yeah, I donโ€™t know where to get citric acid either. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 December 2017 at 19:32

Hi Cameron, there’s a link in the ingredients list to buy citric acid online. You can usually also find it in the canning aisle at your grocery store.

2. Tori 6 September 2016 at 17:06

You can get Citric acid from the canning aisle at Kroger or Walmart also

3. Sharon 25 November 2016 at 20:41

You can get it from the health store, powdered.

4. Christine 29 November 2016 at 09:26

When you use dues doesn’t that come out in the bath . Would it not stain the bath??

1. Trintrin 12 January 2018 at 15:11

No. The colored water just goes down the drain

5. Melissa 29 December 2016 at 19:44

Amazon 5 lbs.

2. Claire 14 August 2016 at 16:57

Um you say to add coconut oil but there’s no coconut oil in the list of ingredients you’ll need.

3. The Makeup Dummy 15 August 2016 at 01:42

You’re right Claire! I added it to the list of ingredients ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Kimi 20 August 2016 at 04:04

Where did you get the mold?

1. Tori 6 September 2016 at 17:08

Use a plastic ornament. They sell them in the craft section at most stores. I think I got mine from hobby lobby. They’re for people who make their own ornaments so they come in two pieces that snap together or snap off.

2. becky 27 January 2018 at 00:46

you can use small muffin tin they wont be round but it works

5. Grace 25 August 2016 at 00:59

I love these bath bombs they make my baths so relaxing!

6. Grace 25 August 2016 at 01:01

I love these bath bombs!

7. Pingback: DIY BATH BOMBS WITH EPSOM SALT

8. Pingback: Beauty day 2 – thisisteenlifeblog

9. Jori 27 September 2016 at 04:48

About how many bombs does this recipe make?

10. private 10 October 2016 at 00:52

Does this stain at all?

1. The Makeup Dummy 10 October 2016 at 11:08

No, not at all!

11. Tash 11 October 2016 at 20:56

These look so beautiful! I love the idea of coloring the epsom salt before you add it. So excited to try this out!

1. The Makeup Dummy 13 October 2016 at 19:29

Thanks, Tash! Let me know when you do!

1. Shirley 27 December 2016 at 23:22

Excuse me, I was just wondering if the food colouring stains your body or the bath tub and if this recipe is alright for sensitive skin. Doesn`t food colouring stain so if could stain on your body or bath tub. Please say you have experimented it because I want to use this recipe to make a bath bomb for my sister and she has very sensitive skin. If this recipe is not okay for sensitive skin, please reply to me which recipe is alright for sensitive skin. Thank you so much!
          Your bath bombs look radiant though!
          Love: Shirley

12. Kathy Burman 13 October 2016 at 14:40

Have a question. I made these last night and the texture is perfection….seriously….however they did not hold together at all when I took them out of the molds…..To much cornstarch maybe?? Adivse???

1. The Makeup Dummy 13 October 2016 at 19:28

Hi Kathy! Make sure to really press the mixture down firmly with your fingertips as you fill up your mold. If the mixture feels damp still it’s also possible you’ve used a little too much oil or water. Hope this helps!

13. Pingback: 8 DIY Bath Bomb Recipes - Simple Pure Beauty

1. Jamie 17 November 2016 at 12:24

Does it matter if you use fractionated coconut oil or unrefined?

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 November 2016 at 20:24

Hi Jamie, I prefer unrefined coconut oil, but fractionated coconut oil should work as well.

14. Pingback: 8 Fun & Fizzy DIY Bath Bomb Recipes - Simple Pure Beauty

15. marcie 20 October 2016 at 01:45

can you make the bath bomb without coconut oil? i am trying to make some for my nephew, but he is allergic to coconut oil.

1. The Makeup Dummy 20 October 2016 at 06:15

Yes! You can use a different oil or leave it out.

2. Corinna Capraun 5 April 2017 at 19:43

I use sweet almond oil

16. Sherry 21 October 2016 at 21:54

How many bombs does this make.

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 October 2016 at 08:41

This recipe makes one giant bath bomb or several smaller ones. You can also double or triple the recipe if you want more.

17. Sarah 24 October 2016 at 01:57

Hi! I’m trying to make some bath balls for Christmas presents but am having trouble finding fine grain Epsom salt, even on Amazon. There are tons of choices for fine grain Dead Sea salt, would that work just the same? Where do you get your Epsom salt? Does it even need to be fine grain? Sorry for so many questions, Thanks for your time.

1. The Makeup Dummy 24 October 2016 at 11:03

Coarse Epsom salt actually works best!

18. Laura 26 October 2016 at 16:13

I am allergic to citric acid. Is there an alternative?

1. The Makeup Dummy 2 November 2016 at 06:44

You can try this recipe with cream of tartar!

1. Laura 3 November 2016 at 17:49

Same measurement as the citric acid?

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 November 2016 at 22:44

I haven’t tried this myself, but I would use half the amount. So 1/8 cup of cream of tartar. I plan on trying this myself soon and make a blog post about it.

19. Krystal 6 November 2016 at 03:06

Do you melt the coconut oil?

1. The Makeup Dummy 6 November 2016 at 14:41

No, the coconut oil I use is at room temperature.

1. Wendy 16 April 2017 at 14:16

What if the coconut oil is hard like shortening -actually a little bit harder? Wouldn’t you have to melt it just to blend with the other ingredients???

1. The Makeup Dummy 16 April 2017 at 14:28

Hi Wendy, you can also use melted coconut oil. Just make sure you add it teaspoon by teaspoon. The liquid oil can start to react with the citric acid in the bowl. You can also semi melt it so it’s softer to mix. Whatever works for you ๐Ÿ™‚

20. Caitlin 8 November 2016 at 20:47

About how many bath bombs does this make?

21. Debby 11 November 2016 at 18:32

Hi! These look really cool! Can you substitute orange juice for citric acid?

22. Melissa 2 December 2016 at 00:55

Do you put the Epsom salt just on the bottom or do you mix it it the bomb too ?

1. The Makeup Dummy 2 December 2016 at 07:13

Hi Melissa, I put a few on the bottom and mix in the rest with the other ingredients.

1. Melissa 2 December 2016 at 18:03

Thank you was also wondering if you use course salt cause my Epsom salt isn’t that course to make them look like yours. The dyed Epsom doesn’t show up us good as yours ?

1. The Makeup Dummy 2 December 2016 at 19:02

Yes, I did use coarse salt. You can try adding more dye? I’m sure yours look beautiful in their own unique way!

23. Megan 2 December 2016 at 20:41

Hi! I saw your other recipe using lemon juice, can you substitute lemon juice for citric acid in this recipe also?

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 December 2016 at 09:13

Hi Megan, I haven’t tried this myself. I’m not sure how the salt and the liquid lemon juice will react. If you do try it definitely let us know! I think the easiest option is to wait and order some citric acid for example from mountainroseherbs or amazon.

24. Pingback: 25 DIY Gift Ideas and Tutorials For Any Occasion | OFriendly

25. Kimberly 15 December 2016 at 04:45

I’ve used your recipe twice and both times it turned out perfect! The only change I made was to melt the coconut oil and add a dash of food coloring to that before I added it to the dry ingredients. You are right…. the key is to really smash the ingredients into the mold tightly. Thanks for the recipe!!

1. The Makeup Dummy 15 December 2016 at 06:47

Thanks Kimberly! I’m glad you like it!

26. Rose 15 December 2016 at 22:26

Hi, how long does the Epson salt have to sit in the coloring and do I let them dry before using them?

1. The Makeup Dummy 16 December 2016 at 07:21

Hi Rose! Yes, you have to let the salt dry first. I recommend only using a drop or 2 of coloring, and then they should dry pretty quickly!

27. Elizabeth Metropolis 17 December 2016 at 13:44

Hi! I did this DIY and I would suggest using powdered food coloring ( I found it at Walmart in the cake section) it makes them more dry so the bath bomb does not activate. Also what do the bath bombs feel/look like when they are ready to be done?

28. Layna 21 December 2016 at 17:49

Hey, I am planning on making this beautiful bath bomb and was wondering if it is necessary to have Epson salt? Could I use relugar salt that has large chunks?

1. The Makeup Dummy 21 December 2016 at 18:08

Yes, coarse sea salt works just as well!

1. Layna 21 December 2016 at 19:45

Thanks so much!

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 December 2016 at 20:03

You’re welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

29. Paula McClellan 22 December 2016 at 19:59

Is the mixture supposed to be a powder or like dough?

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 December 2016 at 20:01

It should look like powder in the bowl but when you take some of the mixture in your hand and squeeze it it should clump together (like a dough)

1. Emily 31 January 2017 at 01:37

How many bath bombs does this recipe make?

30. Tracey 5 February 2017 at 03:16

I just made these up and am so excited to use them! They look beautiful. I used green coloring for the salt and the scent is coconut lime. Thank you!

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 19:10

That sounds amazing! Happy bathing! ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Jessica 6 February 2017 at 23:44

Mine crumbled and never came out of the mold, the texture was perfect while mixing… I left it for 24 hours…. I was so disappointed. I made bath bombs before, with success, I haven’t a clue what happened.

32. Pingback: This DIY was the BOMB! – Nailed it or failed it

33. Emily 14 February 2017 at 00:33

Can you please share the quantity this recipe makes? Am planning a program and would like to know how many molds and materials I need to get.
      Also any way you can make a cool PDF printable for the recipe? Would like to give as a handout and would look a lot better than a bunch of screen grabs.

Thanks
      Emily

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 18:52

Hi Emily, this recipe makes 1 giant bath bomb (like the ones from Lush) or up to 3 medium sized bath bombs. I’ve added a printable version of the recipe to this post (which can also be saved as a PDF). Have fun and thanks for sharing the DIY love!

34. Rita Wyse 19 April 2017 at 06:17

I’d like to know the answer to Jessica’s post on Feb 6! I am having the same problem. I’m using Easter eggs. The mixture explodes out of the egg even holding it shut with stiff rubberbands. I keep scraping the excess off. The when it was dry I could not get it out of the egg and it ended up crumbling.

35. D 21 April 2017 at 09:55

Do you have to use witch hazel or can you just spray with water? Thanks!

36. Lindsay 28 April 2017 at 00:27

Hi! I have made 6 of these and only 1 has come out as a whole ball. As I’ve pulled the other ones apart (I have the metal mold that is two pieces) it just splits in half as if the two halves did not fuse together. Any suggestions?
      Thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 29 April 2017 at 19:39

Hi Lindsay, you probably used a little bit too much liquid. When the bath bomb is still wet it can pull apart. Keep trying, I’m sure you’ll find the right ratio next time!

37. Bri 18 July 2017 at 12:11

Hi there I tried these last night and let them sit overnight but they completely crumbled. Rather than using a squirt bottle, is there a measurement of water to pour into the mixture so I don’t over or under spray? I would love for them to stay whole.

38. Chele 20 July 2017 at 05:19

It’s fun to go to a thrift store and get your molds. I happened upon a mini metal owl cake mold and they are so cute. I spray a little coconut oil into the molds to get them to come out easier. Not too much, though! I love this recipe. It might just be my favorite and I’ve made many varieties.

39. Pingback: 32 Handmade Last Minute Gift Ideas | The Rustic Elk

40. Brian Lynch 17 September 2017 at 21:22

Can I use baby oil instead ?

41. Pingback: 10 Most Fabulous DIY Bath Bomb Recipes Ever ! - Blissonly

42. Pingback: 7 Copycat Lush Bath Bombs You Can Make At Home – Carrie Fiter

43. Pingback: 7 Copycat Lush Bath Bombs You Can Make At Home | | Fun Facts Of Life

44. Kari 5 December 2017 at 20:58

Does the coconut oil need to be melted?

45. OLIVIA 6 December 2017 at 00:44

Do you have to use citric acid

46. Madison Summers 29 December 2017 at 02:09

Instead of critic acid I have heard of using lemon juice. Would that work in this occasion

1. The Makeup Dummy 29 December 2017 at 07:10

Hi Madison, I have a tutorial for bath bombs with lemon juice here on my website as well. It works, but it’s not the same. If you want the same effect as a store bought bath bomb, you’ll need citric acid in powder form.

47. Pingback: 31 Best DIY Bath Bombs For Spa Day at Home - The Goddess

48. LaCrayshal 19 February 2018 at 07:09

Is it safe for the vagina

49. Pingback: 25 Shower Bombs That Make Perfect Gifts - PinkWhen

50. Pingback: Confetti Bath Fizzies |

51. Pingback: 25 Shower Bombs That Make Perfect Gifts | PinkWhen

52. Pingback: DIY Bath Bombs With Epsom Salt | Health & Natural Living

53. Pingback: 45 Homemade Personal Care And Beauty Products - Savvy Chaser

54. Pingback: 20+ Motherโ€™s Day Gift Ideas (Includes DIY Ideas) | Jihi Elephant

55. youtube 10 July 2018 at 10:52

Regards for this terrific post, I am glad I found this site on yahoo.

56. Pingback: 17 DIY Bath Bombs & Homemade Bath Bomb Recipes – DIY AND SHARE