When we have friends or family over, I’m in charge of the most important course: dessert.
I’m the baker of this household.
When you have a GFBF (a gluten-free boyfriend) picking a dessert is always a challenge. Add 6 friends with their personal preferences and you’re good for a 5 hour Pinterest browse.
One of them is allergic to apples. One of them hates warm fruit. One of them doesn’t like chocolate (yes, they exist).
And my main concern was to keep my guests from a sugar overdose.
Unless there’s a cheese hater in the crowd, cheesecake is always a success.
This recipe was adapted from the amazing food blog Chocolate covered Katie. The somewhat tart flavor in my version comes from the Greek yoghurt. And mascarpone is much sweeter than cream cheese, so you don’t need much sweetener.
Make this cheesecake a day ahead and serve it to your friends effortlessly the next day!
How To Make a Healthier Cheesecake
For the pie crust
- 1 cup pecan nuts
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup dates, pitted
For the filling
- 2,5 cups mascarpone, at room temperature
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsbp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- For the pie crust, put the nuts and dates in a food processor. It should form some sort of a paste with chunks of nuts in there. Scoop it into a spring form pan and distribute evenly with your hands. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 175 C. Fill a deep (heat proof) eating plate with water. Place it on the lower rack of your oven.
- Put all the filling ingredients together in a bowl and beat with a whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture on top of your crust. Place the pan on the oven rack above the plate with water.
- Bake for 30 minutes. When done, leave in the closed oven for ten minutes. Then let it cool at room temperature for another 30 minutes. This will prevent the cheesecake filling from cracking. Place in the fridge overnight (or at least 6 hours) to let it 'cook' further.
- Take it out of the fridge and cut your cake into little slices of heaven!