DIY Galaxy Bath Bombs with video tutorial

In a galaxy far far away planets orbit and stars shine bright. Meanwhile, in your bathroom, you’re taking a nice relaxing bath in your very own milky way, created by your galaxy bath bomb.

Watch the quick video tutorial here and follow along with the easy step-by-step instructions.

You can even watch it without sound if you want. Or go to the demo at the end of the video just to watch this bath bomb fizz!

Fun Indoor Activity for Kids and Adults

With these intergalactic bath bombs you can create your own starry sky at home. Keep it for yourself or give it as a Holiday Present to a fan (of bath bombs or sci fi movies a like). These are a guaranteed success!

Creative Craft idea

Making bath bombs yourself is a fun and easy activity that pretty much everyone will enjoy.

Host a ladies night, turn it into an activity for a bachelorette party, a birthday party or even a baby shower.

And as soon as your kids are a little older, they will happily create their own bath fizzies too.

Even though all of the ingredients are technically food-grade, you do not want to eat a mouthful of any of them. Make sure your kids are old enough to understand this.

As Citric Acid is used in its pure powder form, it can be slightly irritating for sensitive skin. Always use utensils instead of your bare hands and consider wearing protective gloves.

If you want to use essential oils, check the child safety precautions first. Not all essential oils should be used around childeren.

The packaging of your essential oil should also provide you with information about the correct dilution rates.

Fun Science Project

Whether you are homeschooling or just looking for an educational activity to keep the kids busy, this is an easy project to start with.

Making bath bombs is based on science. When you mix baking soda and citric acid and then add water, the mixture will start to react and fizz.

Create an entire milky way. Use different shapes and colors to recreate all the planets in our milky way. Line them up in the correct position once they are all done!

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy

Basic Homemade Bath Bomb Recipe

(Scroll down for the printable recipe)

The base ingredients you will need are:

• 1/2 cup baking soda – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup citric acid – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch – Get it here – I used arrowroot powder instead
  • 1 tbsp. oil – I used almond oil – Get it here

Extra ingredients to create your galaxy:

• food or soap coloring
  • some sprinkles (optional)
  • A few drops of essential oil – I used grapefruit essential oil

Mix your dry ingredients

Put all of your dry ingredients together in a bowl, this is your baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch. Give it a good stir with a spoon.

Add your oil

Slowly add 1 tablespoon of oil while you keep stirring the mixture. I used a teaspoon (3 times in total) and added the oil drop by drop.

This is your ‘wet’ phase and will make the mixture clump together.

Some recipes use water or witch hazel, but when I do this, it starts to fizz right in the bowl. The oil also adds a nice moisturizing touch. Double win!

You can also add a few drops of essential oil at this point. I used grapefruit essential oil.

Coloring time!

Divide the mixture over several (smaller) bowls. Add a different color of food coloring to each bowl.

Start by adding one drop, mix well and then add another. Because the food coloring is water based, again, you don’t want your bath bomb mixture to start fizzing!

First the food coloring formed little specks in the mixture. But if you keep stirring it well it will color the whole batch.

I also wanted to add some sparkles or glitter, but I wasn’t sure what to use.

Makeup glitter is usually made of plastic and therefore isn’t the best option to flush down the drain. That’s why I chose cake sprinkles.

Sprinkles are made of sugar and dissolve in warm water after a while. And I think they add a nice touch! I only added it to the yellow batch.

You can also use biodegradable glitter for the best eco-friendly option.

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy

Create your epic bath bomb

You can use any type of mold you like, a star shape for example would work great as well. I like to use plastic Christmas ornaments.

Fill up both sides of your mold with the mixture. Press it down tightly as you go. Fill up each half until it’s somewhat overflowing.

Close up the ornament and twist both sides together. I wrapped a hair tie around it to make sure it stayed close.

I was probably more shocked than anyone that the galaxy bath bombs popped out looking like a perfect sphere.

I pressed both halves together quite firmly after I closed the mold and I even put it in the fridge for a little while.

But I’m not sure if that helped in any way. There’s one important rule though: when you open it, don’t twist!

Just pull it apart slowly with your finger nails. Next time, I’m thinking about coating the mold very lightly with some oil.

When you’re ready to use it, drop a galaxy bath bomb into your bath water. Watch it fizz away and let it reveal its colors, scents and sprinkles.

Now you can look deep into your very own galaxy!

Wrap it as a gift or keep it for yourself and start daydreaming about Galaxy Princesses and Jedi knights …

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy

How to Make Galaxy Bath Bombs

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup citric acid
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
  • 1 tablespoon oil, I like almond oil
  • liquid food or soap coloring
  • sprinkles, optional
  • few drops of essential oil

Instructions

1. Combine baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl. Stir well with a whisk or spoon.
  2. Slowly add 1 tablespoon of carrier oil (like  almond oil) while you keep stirring the mixture.
  3. Add a few drops of essential oil (optional).
  4. Divide the mixture over several bowls. Start by adding one drop of blue, red and yellow coloring to each bowl, mix well and then add another. Add a handful of sprinkles to the yellow batch (optional).
  5. Take a handful of mixture in the palm of your hand and squeeze together. The mixture should stick together like damp sand.
  6. Fill up both sides of your mold with the mixture. Layer the colors as you go. Press both sides together.
  7. Let the bath bombs dry overnight before taking them out of their mold.

Notes

If you don't like to use sprinkles for your bath bomb, use jojoba beads, edible glitter dust or biodegradable glitter instead.

If you like it, than don't forget to put a pin on it!

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest

If you’re looking for more bath bomb inspiration, here’s an overview of fun DIY tutorials to keep you busy for a long time.

More Bath Bomb Tutorials

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy
DIY Galaxy Bath Bombs with video tutorial

1. Samantha 26 December 2015 at 22:46

Love this!! Would love to see more DIY Lush bath bombs from you!

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 January 2016 at 14:10

More bath bomb recipes are coming up! πŸ™‚

2. Lisa 23 November 2016 at 12:27

Just an FYI…the FDA doesn’t approve food coloring for skin care products.

2. Sheila 31 December 2015 at 20:08

I tried this and used only half a mold as I thought they were too big. I added a sugar rosette on top and only had red food colouring so made them in pink.
    The result worked but my daughter said they looked like a line of boobs as they sat drying on my counter.

3. Oktavia 4 January 2016 at 02:53

Although this is a great DIY, it’s importantly to note that you definitely should not use sugar when making a bath bomb. Bathing in sugar can cause urinary tract infections, which generally are not a fun time. Stick with the glitter ☺️

1. Mina 25 April 2016 at 15:25

If you stick with the glitter, you must make sure it is biodegradable glitter, as regular glitter can be bad for the fish!

4. Raquel 7 January 2016 at 04:13

You could use jojoba beads in place of the sprinkles =)

5. Ally @OmNomAlly 7 January 2016 at 23:03

As a lover of Lush bath bombs I am TOTALLY making these! Great instuctional πŸ™‚

6. Nicole 15 January 2016 at 07:43

Thanks so much for this, looks like a great recipe! What kind of food coloring did you use? Just the little squeeze bottles from the grocery store or an actual coloring made for bath products? Did you have any issues with the color staining your tub (or yourself?)

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 January 2016 at 19:14

Hi! Yes, I use the little squeeze bottles with liquid food coloring. If you want you can also use bath bomb colorants, but I haven’t tried these yet. I had no issues with stains on myself or my tub, and I used A LOT of food coloring πŸ™‚

1. Mariah 4 April 2016 at 02:07

How much did you use? I followed a different recipe with the same measurements but it called for 3-7 drops, and even though I used the 7 the water is only a bit cloudy with no color. I even used actual soap colorants after and that made it pure milky.

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 November 2016 at 23:06

I didn’t count, but I believe at least 10 to 20 drops. Stir the mixture very well after each drop to make sure it won’t start to fizz!

7. O 17 March 2016 at 19:09

Hi! This is a great post. I happened upon your blog while looking for some DIY project ideas that I could turn into a birthday gift for my girlfriend, who is a huge fan of Lush and their products. I already intend to try the bath bomb and dream cream πŸ™‚

I also happen to be a web developer and noticed a few things broken on your site (images and links mostly), so I would love to provide some free assistance if needed as a way of saying thanks for your help. Just email me if you’d like. Thanks again.

8. Chelsea 13 May 2016 at 04:20

H! Did your bombs float? How long did u dry them

1. The Makeup Dummy 13 May 2016 at 15:15

Yes! These were dry after an hour or so, but I recommend letting them dry overnight just to be sure.

9. Cassie 1 December 2016 at 15:34

Hi there!

My name is Cassie and I am a student at the Illinois Institute of Art – Chicago. I am currently working with a group of fellow students to design a Sustainable Design magazine for a class project, and we are looking to feature a few of your LUSH Cosmetics images in a Lush article. We were wondering if you would be able to supply us with some hi-res images or if you would mind if we used yours from your website? We would, of course, credit you for any images. The magazine will be printed once and used solely for our class – no distribution, however, we will be placing a digital pdf onto Behance and ISSUU once it’s complete.

We are happy to provide more information for you or answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you soon (and hopefully featuring your images in our magazine)!

All the best,
    Cassie

1. The Makeup Dummy 1 December 2016 at 19:57

Hi Cassie, I would love to help you out! Send me an e-mail at [email protected] naming the specific pictures you’d like. I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ll create!

10. Ashleigh 4 December 2016 at 20:59

How many bath bombs does this recipie make?

11. Sadie 24 December 2016 at 22:49

What effect does the arrowroot have on the bath bombs? I’m trying to find a recipe that doesn’t have corn starch because it tends to leave a film on my skin.

1. The Makeup Dummy 25 December 2016 at 00:18

Hi Sadie, I’ve never had this issue before so I’m not sure if the arrowroot powder will make a difference for you. You can leave this ingredient out, just be very careful when you add the coloring and witch hazel/water as the cornstarch keeps the mixture from fizzing in the bowl. Hope this helps!

1. Abby 18 January 2018 at 03:13

If you mix all of the ingredients except the citrus acid and add that last it will keep it from fizzing while you are making them. Using coconut oil also since it is a solid at room temperature.

12. Jessica 22 January 2017 at 03:42

Hi! I have only 1 bath bomb mold, so when I take it out to dry, the “bomb” will get flat on any side that it has to rest against for long. I’ve even tried an egg crate, leaving it in half of the mold, you name it… Any ideas? I would really appreciate it! Also as far as the food coloring goes, you can use vegetable based food coloring, which is organic and safe! Thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 23 January 2017 at 18:42

Hi Jessica, I always leave my bath bombs in their molds to let them dry. To keep them closed I sometimes wrap a hair tie around them.

1. Jasmyn 11 February 2017 at 18:15

How many bombs does this make?

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 18:55

Hi Jasmyn, this recipe makes about 1 giant Bath Bomb, like the ones you get from LUSH. If you’re using a medium sized mold you can make up to 3 bath bombs.

13. Anonymous 26 February 2017 at 20:44

Hey, I can’t find any citric acid in my stores and for me to order from Amazon would take 5 days, but I want to make them now. can you use anything other than citric acid?

14. Pingback: Make Your Own Galaxy Bath Bombs – Bath and Body

15. Linda 6 June 2017 at 19:13

I have only 1 mouldy I turn them out onto a muffin tray and let them dry there. It works. I also put food colouring into a spay mister with witch hazel. I add the witch hazel 5 sprays at a time and clench my hands around the mix once it holds together it’s ready to press. Love the ideas!

16. Pingback: 31 Best DIY Bath Bombs For Spa Day at Home - The Goddess

17. Kimberly Wilson 18 January 2019 at 05:05

Hello I love the tutorial but I don’t seem to understand what sprinkles you used and does the food coloring leave a stain around the tub