DIY Galaxy Bath Bombs + video tutorial

8K Shares

In a galaxy far far away planets orbit and stars shine bright. Meanwhile, in your bathroom, you’re taking a nice relaxing bath with your galaxy bath bomb.

Watch the video tutorial here:

Celebrate the new Star Wars movie in style. With these intergalactic bath bombs you can create your own starry sky at home. Keep it for yourself or give it as a Holiday Present to a fan (of bath bombs or sci fi movies a like). These are a guaranteed success!

What I used:

• 1/2 cup baking soda – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup citric acid – Get it here
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch – Get it here – I used arrowroot powder instead
  • 1 tbsp. oil – I used almond oil – Get it here
  • food coloring
  • some sprinkles (optional)
  • A few drops of essential oil – I used grapefruit essential oil

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy

1. Mix your dry ingredients

Put all of your dry ingredients together in a bowl, this is your baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch. Give it a good stir with a spoon.

2. Add your oil

Slowly add 1 tablespoon of oil while you keep stirring the mixture. I used a teaspoon (3 times in total) and added the oil drop by drop. This is your ‘wet’ phase and will make the mixture clump together. Some recipes use water or witch hazel, but when I do this, it starts to fizz right in the bowl. The oil also adds a nice moisturizing touch. Double win!

You can also add a few drops of essential oil at this point. I used grapefruit essential oil.

3. Coloring time!

Divide the mixture over several (smaller) bowls. Add a different color of food coloring to each bowl. Start by adding one drop, mix well and then add another. Because the food coloring is water based, again, you don’t want your bath bomb mixture to start fizzing! First the food coloring formed little specks in the mixture. But if you keep stirring it well it will color the whole batch.

I wanted to add sparkles or glitter, but I wasn’t sure what to use. I heard mica and makeup glitter aren’t the best option to flush down the drain. That’s why I chose cake sprinkles. They are made of sugar and dissolve in warm water after a while. And I think they add a nice touch! I only added it to the yellow batch.

4. Create your epic bath bomb

You can use any type of mold you like, a star shape for example would work great as well. Since ’tis the season of Christmas, I found this amazing plastic ornament. It had some cheap Cristmas socks in it that I might use for a new DIY cup sleeve.

Fill up both sides of your mold with the mixture. Press it down tightly as you go. Fill up each half until it’s somewhat overflowing. Close up the ornament and twist both sides together. I wrapped a hair tie around it to make sure it stayed close.

I was probably more shocked than anyone that the bath bomb popped out looking like a perfect sphere. I pressed both halves together quite firmly after I closed the mold and I even put it in the fridge for a little while. But I’m not sure if that helped in any way. There’s one important rule though: when you open it, don’t twist! Just pull it apart slowly with your finger nails. Next time, I’m thinking about coating the mold very lightly with some oil.

Now you can look deep into your very own galaxy!

How to make your own Galaxy Bath Bombs | DIY by The Makeup Dummy

Wrap it as a gift or drop one in your bath and start daydreaming about Galaxy Princesses and Jedi knights …

Follow my blog with Bloglovin!

If you like this DIY then don’t forget to put a pin on it! πŸ™‚

How To make Intergalactic Galaxy Bath Bomb Fizzies inspired by LUSH - it's easy, cheap and fun to make yourself! Tutorial by The Makeup Dummy

You might also like:

Make your own LUSH inspired DIY Bath Bombs with Epsom Salt! Copycat tutorial by The Makeup DummyHow To make DIY bath bomb melts that smell like Birthdaycake! Tutorial and recipe by The Makeup Dummy

1. Samantha 26 December 2015 at 22:46

Love this!! Would love to see more DIY Lush bath bombs from you!

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 January 2016 at 14:10

More bath bomb recipes are coming up! πŸ™‚

2. Lisa 23 November 2016 at 12:27

Just an FYI…the FDA doesn’t approve food coloring for skin care products.

2. Sheila 31 December 2015 at 20:08

I tried this and used only half a mold as I thought they were too big. I added a sugar rosette on top and only had red food colouring so made them in pink.
    The result worked but my daughter said they looked like a line of boobs as they sat drying on my counter.

3. Oktavia 4 January 2016 at 02:53

Although this is a great DIY, it’s importantly to note that you definitely should not use sugar when making a bath bomb. Bathing in sugar can cause urinary tract infections, which generally are not a fun time. Stick with the glitter ☺️

1. Mina 25 April 2016 at 15:25

If you stick with the glitter, you must make sure it is biodegradable glitter, as regular glitter can be bad for the fish!

4. Raquel 7 January 2016 at 04:13

You could use jojoba beads in place of the sprinkles =)

5. Ally @OmNomAlly 7 January 2016 at 23:03

As a lover of Lush bath bombs I am TOTALLY making these! Great instuctional πŸ™‚

6. Nicole 15 January 2016 at 07:43

Thanks so much for this, looks like a great recipe! What kind of food coloring did you use? Just the little squeeze bottles from the grocery store or an actual coloring made for bath products? Did you have any issues with the color staining your tub (or yourself?)

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 January 2016 at 19:14

Hi! Yes, I use the little squeeze bottles with liquid food coloring. If you want you can also use bath bomb colorants, but I haven’t tried these yet. I had no issues with stains on myself or my tub, and I used A LOT of food coloring πŸ™‚

1. Mariah 4 April 2016 at 02:07

How much did you use? I followed a different recipe with the same measurements but it called for 3-7 drops, and even though I used the 7 the water is only a bit cloudy with no color. I even used actual soap colorants after and that made it pure milky.

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 November 2016 at 23:06

I didn’t count, but I believe at least 10 to 20 drops. Stir the mixture very well after each drop to make sure it won’t start to fizz!

7. O 17 March 2016 at 19:09

Hi! This is a great post. I happened upon your blog while looking for some DIY project ideas that I could turn into a birthday gift for my girlfriend, who is a huge fan of Lush and their products. I already intend to try the bath bomb and dream cream πŸ™‚

I also happen to be a web developer and noticed a few things broken on your site (images and links mostly), so I would love to provide some free assistance if needed as a way of saying thanks for your help. Just email me if you’d like. Thanks again.

8. Chelsea 13 May 2016 at 04:20

H! Did your bombs float? How long did u dry them

1. The Makeup Dummy 13 May 2016 at 15:15

Yes! These were dry after an hour or so, but I recommend letting them dry overnight just to be sure.

9. Cassie 1 December 2016 at 15:34

Hi there!

My name is Cassie and I am a student at the Illinois Institute of Art – Chicago. I am currently working with a group of fellow students to design a Sustainable Design magazine for a class project, and we are looking to feature a few of your LUSH Cosmetics images in a Lush article. We were wondering if you would be able to supply us with some hi-res images or if you would mind if we used yours from your website? We would, of course, credit you for any images. The magazine will be printed once and used solely for our class – no distribution, however, we will be placing a digital pdf onto Behance and ISSUU once it’s complete.

We are happy to provide more information for you or answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you soon (and hopefully featuring your images in our magazine)!

All the best,
    Cassie

1. The Makeup Dummy 1 December 2016 at 19:57

Hi Cassie, I would love to help you out! Send me an e-mail at ina@themakeupdummy.com naming the specific pictures you’d like. I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ll create!

10. Ashleigh 4 December 2016 at 20:59

How many bath bombs does this recipie make?

11. Sadie 24 December 2016 at 22:49

What effect does the arrowroot have on the bath bombs? I’m trying to find a recipe that doesn’t have corn starch because it tends to leave a film on my skin.

1. The Makeup Dummy 25 December 2016 at 00:18

Hi Sadie, I’ve never had this issue before so I’m not sure if the arrowroot powder will make a difference for you. You can leave this ingredient out, just be very careful when you add the coloring and witch hazel/water as the cornstarch keeps the mixture from fizzing in the bowl. Hope this helps!

1. Abby 18 January 2018 at 03:13

If you mix all of the ingredients except the citrus acid and add that last it will keep it from fizzing while you are making them. Using coconut oil also since it is a solid at room temperature.

12. Jessica 22 January 2017 at 03:42

Hi! I have only 1 bath bomb mold, so when I take it out to dry, the “bomb” will get flat on any side that it has to rest against for long. I’ve even tried an egg crate, leaving it in half of the mold, you name it… Any ideas? I would really appreciate it! Also as far as the food coloring goes, you can use vegetable based food coloring, which is organic and safe! Thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 23 January 2017 at 18:42

Hi Jessica, I always leave my bath bombs in their molds to let them dry. To keep them closed I sometimes wrap a hair tie around them.

1. Jasmyn 11 February 2017 at 18:15

How many bombs does this make?

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 18:55

Hi Jasmyn, this recipe makes about 1 giant Bath Bomb, like the ones you get from LUSH. If you’re using a medium sized mold you can make up to 3 bath bombs.

13. Anonymous 26 February 2017 at 20:44

Hey, I can’t find any citric acid in my stores and for me to order from Amazon would take 5 days, but I want to make them now. can you use anything other than citric acid?

14. Pingback: Make Your Own Galaxy Bath Bombs – Bath and Body

15. Linda 6 June 2017 at 19:13

I have only 1 mouldy I turn them out onto a muffin tray and let them dry there. It works. I also put food colouring into a spay mister with witch hazel. I add the witch hazel 5 sprays at a time and clench my hands around the mix once it holds together it’s ready to press. Love the ideas!

16. Pingback: 31 Best DIY Bath Bombs For Spa Day at Home - The Goddess