Easy DIY Ultrabland LUSH inspired Cleanser

It might feel a bit strange to wash your face with a thick goop-y cleansing balm. But once you’ve tried it, you’ll never want to use another type of cleanser again! This DIY Ultrabland inspired recipe might seem plain and simple, but it’s far from boring!

Massage your face with your fingertips (this part alone makes it worth your while), and watch the makeup and dirt glide right off your skin.

I’ve changed the recipe for this DIY Ultrabland inspired cleanser a few times over the years. It went from containing water, to using less water to this completely oil based recipe. Common knowledge about making your own skin care products has changed a lot over the years that I’ve been blogging. Bloggers who had a much bigger following than me way back then where sharing these water and oil mixtures and boosting its great results. I considered them experts and didn’t question them for a second.

It took me a while to realize that people started looking at me for expert advice, and not just as a girl who shares the beauty recipes she made for herself at home. This encouraged me to take another look at my recipes, and that’s why I’ve changed this recipe to an oil based version. I will never consider myself an expert. As research is always evolving, I don’t think you can ever be one. But I sure want to learn.

This cleansing balm uses 2 key ingredients from the Ultrabland cleanser: beeswax and almond oil.

I added another skin loving ingredient of my own: Shea butter. This makes the balm softer and smoother and gives it extra moisturizing powers.

What I used:

• 1 tablespoon of grated beeswax
• 1 tablespoon of Shea butter
• 8 tablespoons of almond oil

• 1 drop of vitamin E oil
• 3 drops of essential oil – I used rose geranium, but if you can/want to splurge, use rose absolute!

This recipe make 2.5 oz of cleansing balm.

1. Melt your beeswax and Shea butter

Melt 1 tablespoon of beeswax and 1 tablespoon of Shea butter in a double boiler and wait for it to completely melt.

2. Add your almond oil

Take your double boiler off the heat and stir in about 8 tablespoons of almond oil. Keep stirring until the oil has completely dissolved into the mixture.

3. Optional: add essential oil and vitamin E

You can add a few drops of essential oil to this mixture to enhance your recipe.

I used rose geranium essential oil. And not just for its amazing scent. It’s also considered to have a balancing effect on the skin, making it a great choice for oily skin types. It’s also said to help with acne and eczema.

If you want to use this cleansing balm for your eyes and eye area, I recommend leaving the essential oil out of this product. If you do want to use essential oils and are looking for an alternative to remove stubborn waterproof eye makeup, try my easy coconut oil makeup remover pads instead!

Tutorial on How To make your own copycat Easy DIY Ultrabland LUSH Face Cleanser dupe from The Makeup Dummy

I also added one drop of vitamin E oil to my DIY Ultrabland inspired cleanser. Vitamin E is considered an anti-oxidant and can help keep the oil from going rancid. As little as 1 % is enough to help prolong the shelf life. Vitamin E is not a preservative, so you still have to follow the general guidelines for safe use of oil based beauty products.

Keep all water out of your container. Use clean, dry hands or a clean spoon or spatula to scoop some of the product out of the container.

Store your container in a dry, cool place out of direct sunlight. If kept with care this DIY cleansing balm can keep up to 6 months.

How to use your DIY Ultrabland inspired cleanser?

This is an amazing make up remover. It removes foundation and other face makeup without as much as a sweat.
First, splash lukewarm water all over your face. Take a small (like, pea size) amount of cleanser out of the jar. I like to rub it between my hands first.

Now gently massage your face with the mixture. Feels good, right?

Take a wash cloth with lukewarm water and clean your face. You’ll be amazed how easily everything comes off. Now cleanse your face and continue your night time skin care routine.

Enjoy your homemade face cleanser!

Ina

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1. Lila 15 August 2015 at 17:02

Thanks for your recipe! Well, I’m using the original Ultra Bland for cleansing my make up and I’m using it onto my lids. It’s the only cleanser which works for my skin. How much product do you get out of your recipe?

2. Pingback: DIY | Easy LUSH Ultrabland inspired Cleanser – NEW RECIPE | The Makeup Dummy

3. Mary 17 September 2015 at 07:31

I definitely need to try this. I love that your recipes are so simple!

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 September 2015 at 16:51

That’s exactly how I want recipes to be, thanks for the sweet comment! Let me know when you try it!

2. The Makeup Dummy 24 September 2015 at 19:37

Thank you so much!!! I love your comment 🙂

4. Lynn Fisher 1 November 2015 at 23:25

Even better than the first recipe…no granulated beeswax to deal with…smooth as silk!

1. The Makeup Dummy 20 November 2015 at 10:19

Yay, I’m glad you like it as much as I do!

5. Lynn Fisher 1 November 2015 at 23:38

….and I did use the bees wax…but melting get it with the oil makes all the difference. Very fluffy, even more like the Lush product!

6. Chelsey 14 January 2016 at 04:34

I have been making my own ultrabland for a while now. I have always used rose water but didn’t have any when I went to make some tonight.. Ran across this version with no rose water and I LOVE it. Only thing I did differently is:

Melt the grated beeswax and almond oil together, once all melted and whisked, I took off of the heat and immediately added the glycerine. Whisked like crazy so that it blended in and wasn’t chunky, then added the honey and vitamin E oil and whisked again. I didn’t use the rose oil. Instead I use Geranium and Cedarwood oils for their skin benefits!!!

7. marie 16 January 2016 at 03:44

what is the shelf life? approximately?

8. Mary Ann 4 March 2016 at 18:58

I see you don’t use any rosewater in your cleanser. I use a very similar recipe, with the addition of 2 Tbsp rosewater. I also use a couple of drops each of benzoin, lavender, and rose oil, all of which are good for your skin. My daughter and I both use it, (I’m 56, she’s 23). I made some for my dermatologist, he loves it, too His only comment, was lots of people are sensitive to beeswax, or to lavender. If it’s a problem for you, leave it out. We’ve been using this for about 2 years now. I haven’t had it go bad, It makes enough for a month-6 weeks, depending on how generous you are with the cleanser.

1. The Makeup Dummy 5 March 2016 at 18:26

I love that you use benzoin! Thank you for sharing your experiences and story!

2. Kara 7 November 2016 at 01:37

How would you go about making this without beeswax? Would you warm up the almond oil?

3. Ella 12 November 2018 at 04:24

Would you share your exact recipe? I love this one but would love to add some rosewater!

9. Wild 14 April 2016 at 07:06

I worry that you are not using any form of preservative system in your recipe’s. Especially with products like Aloe Vera & Oats. Essential oils, vitamin E, Benzoin & others are not preservatives. You are looking at getting mould & bacteria growing in your products. I’m no fan of lush but they actually use preservatives in their products, they just hide them most times in the fragrance oils or use parabens.

1. Anniken 6 November 2016 at 22:04

My thoughts excactly. I just stumbled upon this blog, and I truly love the recipes, but the lack of preservatives (or the lack of knowledge about water, preservatives and shelf life) is alarming. This product will probably last 3 – 4 days, because the glycerine contains water. You can’t depend on smell and sight when it comes to bacteria. Leave out the glycerine, or add a preservative, and the recipe is perfect 🙂

2. Shelley 20 January 2017 at 12:44

I agree about the lack of preservative. You MUST use a broad spectrum preservative when there are any water based ingredients. I usually use Liquid Germall Plus which is a great, broad spectrum preservative, paraben free and very easy to use. You literally use .5% (point 5 percent) of the total recipe. It’s a very tiny amount and yet very effective. I’m not afraid of preservatives OR parabens but some people are so I try not to use anything with parabens. Benzoin is NOT a “natural preservative”. Vitamin E is NOT a preservative, although uneducated people often try to claim that it is. There is NO essential oil that is an effective preservative. Grapefruit Seed Oil is also NOT a preservative. I see that one a lot too. Anyway, I’m much more afraid of bacteria, mold and fungus that begins growing within literally a day or two…long before you can see or smell that there is anything wrong. Very, very dangerous.

To the writer, I’m sorry. I don’t like picking people’s recipes apart but when I see dangerous information being given I feel a responsibility to speak up when I know better. If you would like to discuss with me further, you can email me at shellos8@yahoo.com. I make all kinds of skin care products and have been studying this stuff for almost 3 years. It’s a lot of fun. 🙂 Other than the lack of preservative, I bet it’s a great recipe! 🙂

1. Kelly Johnson 1 April 2017 at 22:14

Ewww. You are exactly the person who I never ever want to buy natural products from. You are condescending high & mighty think you know something that others don’t & you have fun finding people you believe have less knowledge than you & tearing them down & trying to make them look stupid. Which you didn’t. You made yourself look stupid. Especially when you said & I quote “very VERY dangerous”. Ooooohhhh very. Dry dangerous huh? Not using a potentially irritating, synthetic preservative is very. Wet dangerous people!!! What might happen? Maybe a serial killer will pop out of the face cream jar after 1-2 days? Maybe by not ruining her beautiful all natural PERSONAL product with germall or germaben or optiphen the user might contract a bad case of MALARIA? Soooo dangerous!! If you are sooo educated then surely you know this is not anywhere close to. Wing considered very very dangerous. And surely you must know that there is truly no need for you to feel compelled to jump on this site & offer your unsolicitayed advice to someone & all condescendingly tell her if she’d like to talk to you further to pick your brain she may do so. She’s not trying to sell these or teach people who are going to be making these for a mass market. And if she were I’m certain the person making the stuff to sell would learn the ropes somehow someway even without yogu. Have you ever heard of humility? How about chilling the eff out. Don’t bring your fear laden propaganda bs to happy helpful peoples blogs. Keep that in your own little domain. No need for you here. Buh bye. Also you should truly do a little more research re grapefruit extract & tocopherols. Oh and brush up on why mold isn’t not going to be growing in her face cleanser in one to two days. Hint…something to do with beeswax… go ahead. Study a little more sweetheart. And next time you want to give someone some friendly advice…proofread your post you sounded like a real asshole.

1. Mary 21 April 2017 at 14:38

From all that I have read, Shelley is absolutely correct about the use of preservatives. I appreciate the fact that she cares enough about safety to share. I found your observation extremely harsh and totally unnecessary.

1. Paula W 9 May 2017 at 17:51

Really Kelly!!! I appreciate learning all I can , both pros & cons of making my own products. I love the recipes she is sharing & plan to try many of them. I personally don’t have the patience to make products that have a very limited shelf life. Using them too long puts you at more risk of bacteria, mold & fungus contamination. You can easily contaminate yourself by using your fingers in the product or introducing water into the product by using in your bath. There are preservatives available that are better to use than those in off the shelf beauty products that extend the life of their products by several years or more. Yuk!! This is a very informative tutorial by the Soapqueen of Brambleberry.com which explains alternatives & their use. You can extend your product’s shelf life by 6 months to a year using a very tiny amount… https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/talk-it-out-tuesday-preservatives/#more-15471

10. Roselle 30 May 2016 at 09:07

Hi

I’m from South Africa and I can’t find vitamin E oil anywhere, is there a substitute that is available?

11. Pingback: Mountain Gypsy DIY MAKEUP REMOVER CLEANSING BALM - Mountain Gypsy

12. Ella 12 November 2018 at 07:55

Whats the shelf life of this?