Welcome to my first HOW TO Basic Beauty DIY post!
It was about time we got down to basics.
I love a challenge and I love interesting, out of the box DIYs. But I remember when I took my first steps into Beauty DIYing. I wasn’t interested that much in butters, clays and herbs. I wanted to start at the beginning.
In this first post I give you all the instructions I feel you need to make a perfect DIY Body Scrub. With a few examples to get started.
1. Choose a scrubber
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Fine Salt (Like My Rub Shower Scrub)
- Sea Salt
- Oatmeal – for a very gentle scrub, ideal if you have eczema or psoriasis
- Himalayan salt – because it looks fancy
- Dead sea salt
- Coffee Grounds – used ones work too, but make sure to use your scrub right away
2. Choose your oil
- Olive oil – cheap and dang effective
- Coconut oil – double dang effective and my personal favorite
- Jojoba oil – for every skin type
- Almond oil – great for dry skin
- Grape Seed oil – doesn’t leave a greasy feel
- Avocado oil – great for dry skin
3. Add extra goodies
Add extra goodies to your scrub: the possibilities are endless!
- Shea butter
- Lemon or lime juice (Like my Virgin Mojito Scrub)
- Dried spices – 1 teaspoon or less is usually enough for 1 cup of scrub
- Dried herbs – like lavender or chamomile buds
- Organic fruit zest – all the yucky pesticides stick to the peel so make sure to use organic
- Essential oils – a few drops in total are enough, choose different essential oils for the beauty flaw(s) you want to tackle
Mix and match
Two parts of ‘dry’ ingredients for 1 part of ‘wet’ ingredients is a good rule of thumb. Use your scrubber(s) and oil(s) as your base. Add more of one or the other if you want your scrub to be more ‘solid’/’liquid’ (My Body Scrub vocabulary isn’t very good…).
Add an extra ingredient in there. It doesn’t only make your scrub look more fancy. It also makes it even more effective. Usually 1 tablespoon or even 1 teaspoon is enough. Always use your common sense when mixing and matching. And always test your new recipe first!
Let’s get started!
Fight Keratosis Pilaris and Cellulite at the same time with this easy scrub. Bonus: add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to improve your blood circulation and make it even more effective!
Coconut oil, Lime juice and Peppermint essential oil Scrub:
This refreshing Body Scrub turns every shower into a vacation. Close your eyes, start scrubbing, can you hear the sea yet?
Fine Salt, Coconut Oil and Lemon juice:
The fine grains make it an ideal scrub for smooth skin. Don’t use it when you have any open scrapes or cuts, though!
Monday 18th of April 2016
Thank you for your post. They are so informed and the pics are helpful. I plan on making some to put in my gift boxes to sell. You made a comment to use the coffee one soon, why is that? How long are these good to store?
Wednesday 24th of August 2016
she meant you can use "used ground coffee" but because its already been brewed you would want to use it soon. otherwise regular fresh coffee grounds should last awhile. :-)
Wednesday 1st of July 2015
Your great photos make it engaging and interesting.