DIY Moisturizing Hair Balm inspired by LUSH R&B

I am always playing with my hair. It has got nothing to do with flirting. Mainly with daydreaming. I just like the feeling of soft hair gliding through my fingers. And my ends can always use a little help with that. This DIY hair balm does wonders for my locks. Use a tiny amount all over if you have very dry hair or an even tinier amount for dry and/or split ends.

I decided to keep this DIY hair balm simple and use only a few all natural moisturizing ingredients that really work to smooth those dry ends. This new and improved recipe is also made without water or water based products. That means you won’t have to add a preservative if you take good care of your product. Hooray!

Let’s take a closer look at our ingredient list:

Avocado butter

Avocado butter is made from avocados (duh!). It’s smoother and softer than Shea butter. It’s also a ‘drier’ butter, so it’s less greasy than Shea butter.

If you don’t have avocado butter, you can use Shea butter instead. The hair balm will have a slightly different consistency if you use Shea butter, but it will still give your locks the moisture it needs.

Extra virgin Coconut oil

A great all round oil that is solid at room temperature. Coconut oil adds shine to your hair and is a great moisturizer.

Extra virgin Olive oil

This kitchen favorite is a also a very moisturizing super oil for your face, body and hair.

I love using this oil for homemade skincare products because it’s so cost effective.

Vitamin E oil

Vitamin E oil can be added to carrier oils to help keep the oils from going rancid. Basically they can help prolong the shelf life of the oils in your DIY hair balm.

The original product from Lush uses a lot of other ingredients like oat milk, jojoba oil and candelilla wax. For this preservative free DIY version I decided to stick with just a few easy ingredients that work together perfectly to moisturize your strands!

How To Make your DIY Hair Balm

(Scroll down for an easy, printable version)

What I use:

• 4 tablespoons (1.4 oz) avocado butter (or Shea butter)
  • 2 tablespoons (0.8 oz) coconut oil
  • 4 tablespoons (0.8 oz) extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 drop (0.05 oz) vitamin E oil(optional)
  • Optional: 1 to 3 drops of essential oils – I use sweet orange essential oil

Let’s begin!

LOVE THIS!! DIY Lush R&B inspired Moisturizing Hair Balm. Follow this easy tutorial from The Makeup Dummy! #diylush #lushinspired #naturalbeauty #diybeauty

1. Melt your butter

Melt the avocado butter. Get your double boiler going and melt the butter until it’s completely liquid.

You can also melt the butter in a heatproof container in the microwave. Use a low setting and check regularly to make sure you don’t overheat the mixture, stir occasionally until all the chunks are gone.

Once the butter has turned into a liquid, take the double boiler off the heat or take your container out of the microwave.

2. Add coconut oil and olive oil

Now that the butter and oil mixture has cooled down a bit, you can add vitamin E oil if you choose to.

This is also the point where you can add some essential oils. I added 3 drops of orange essential oil.

Cover the bowl with a lid and set in the fridge to speed up the process.

Once the mixture is no longer transparant and has thickened you can move on to the next step.

3. Mix and whisk!

Use an electric whisk to whip the ingredients into a hair balm. If you don’t have any avocado butter, you can use Shea butter. The hair balm will have a slightly different consistency if you use Shea butter, but it will still give your locks the moisture it needs.

Bits of lotion can fly all around so start at a low speed and use a large mixing bowl. I have an electric whisk with a lid which is perfect for these kinds of DIY tutorials.

If you want, you can skip this step and just pour the melted ingredients into a container.

Keep this DIY hair balm in a dark, air tight container. Make sure no water gets into the jar or comes in contact with the product! I like to use a clean spoon or spatula to scoop some of the product out before each use.

If you prefer a lighter balm, you can mix a pea size amount of this DIY hair balm with a pea size amount of aloe vera gel in the palm of your hand. I like to do this when I’m applying the hair balm to dry hair.

I have suuuuuuuuuper fine hair so I only use a tiny amount anyways.

How I apply my DIY Hair Balm:

How to apply Lush R&B hair balm + DIY version  The Makeup Dummy

1. I scoop a small amount of hair balm out of the container with a clean spoon.

2. I rub the product in between my hands, as if it were a hand lotion.

3. I start twisting the ends of my wet hair.  As I’m twisting I spread the product on my fingers and hands all over my hair. Dry and treat your hair as you normally do.

It will be hard to resist touching your soft ends throughout the day!

DUPE Make your own DIY LUSH R & B Moisturizing Hair Balm | by the Makeup Dummy

Enjoy your soft locks!

Ina

DIY Lush R&B inspired Hair Balm

You can make your own hair balm at home using all natural ingredients with this easy recipe!

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons (1.4 oz) avocado butter or Shea butter
  • 2 tablespoons (0.8 oz) coconut oil
  • 4 tablespoons (0.8 oz) extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 drop (0.05 oz) vitamin E oil optional
  • 1 to 3 drops essential oil optional

Instructions

1. Melt the avocado butter in a double boiler. You can also melt the butter in a heatproof container in the microwave. Use a low setting and check regularly.

2. Take the double boiler off the heat or take your container out of the microwave. Start by adding the coconut oil. Let the oil slowly melt into the hot avocado butter. Stir to help the oil dissolve.

3. Next add the olive oil. Stir well with a spoon to combine all of the ingredients.
  4. Add essential oil and vitamin E oil (optional).

5. Pour the melted balm into a mixing bowl. Let the mixture cool down completely until it starts to thicken and look like pudding. Use an electric whisk to whip the ingredients into a hair balm.

6. Scoop the mixed mixture into a container. You can choose not to mix the balm and just pour the melted ingredients into a container.

Recipe Notes

1. Keep this DIY hair balm in a dark, air tight container. Make sure no water gets into the jar or comes into contact with the product! I like to use a clean spoon or spatula to scoop some of the product out before each use.

2. If you prefer a lighter balm, you can mix a pea size amount of this DIY hair balm with a pea size amount of aloe vera gel in the palm of your hand. I like to do this when I'm applying the hair balm to dry hair.

1. Pingback: DIY anti-frizz conditioning spray | The Makeup Dummy

2. Ana 12 October 2014 at 22:04

Thank you for the duplicate. I tried it on my hair and it felt very moisturized.

1. Kim 30 November 2014 at 00:32

Thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to try this product but the cost is just crazy. I have tried your recipe and its amazeballs on my afrotextured hair. Soft and nice shine.

Thanks again!!!

1. The Makeup Dummy 30 November 2014 at 10:47

I’m so glad you like it!!! Thanks for letting me know!

3. Pingback: 17 Amazing DIY Hair and Body Products Using Everyday Ingredients - Home Decor Home Design Interior Design Bathroom Ideas Cheap Wedding Dresses

4. Pingback: My Hair Care Tips & Routine | The Makeup Dummy

5. xx 1 February 2015 at 18:11

Hey, about how long is the shelf life of this hair balm with and without vitamin E? I’m trying to decide how much to make.

Also, thanks for the recipe – I am really allergic to a lot of essential oils so when I tried R’n’B I ended up having to take a Benadryl. But my hair looked great 😉

1. The Makeup Dummy 6 February 2015 at 18:47

O no ! I have contact eczema so I can totally relate ! Thank goodness for DIY Beauty 😉 It’s hard to pinpoint an exact expiration date, it also depends on where you keep it, what climate you live in… I would definitely make a small batch and add vitamin e oil if you can. By the time you’ve finished it I will hopefully have a fully operating kitchen again and I will update with my no water ( = longer shelf life ) recipe. Thank you for DIYing with me!

1. Jennifer 9 April 2015 at 16:29

Hi I was wondering if you discovered an expiration date and a recipe using no water.

2. xx 30 April 2015 at 07:44

It’s me again, coming back to make this stuff a second time 🙂 It seems great for my hair but I too would love to know the water free recipe! Thanks again for your great blog!

1. The Makeup Dummy 1 May 2015 at 17:49

Hi! It makes me sooo happy to see that you actually come back here and want to DIY with me. Every new follower still surprises me. I’ve been very busy lately, and I’ve barely gotten around to posting a new DIY every week. But that’s no excuse, a promise is a promise. Your comments are the kick in the butt that I needed 😉 I’m working on the recipe as we speak! I’ll post it as soon as possible!

6. Tope 3 February 2015 at 14:49

I love lush r&b and will definitely be trying this. Thanks for sharing.
    Wondering how you labeled your picture, its really cool.

7. Anonymous 23 February 2015 at 00:29

This sounds amazing, but I’m wondering why use so many different kinds of carrier oil? Would it work to substitute all the carrier oils (shea, avocado, jojoba, olive, coconut) for one?

1. The Makeup Dummy 24 February 2015 at 20:56

These are the ones that are used in the original product. If you leave out the Shea Butter and coconut oil it will change the consistency, but feel free to use whatever oil you like to substitute the other oils!

8. Wilhelmina 25 March 2015 at 19:37

I made it this morning, tho I replaced jojoba oil with argan oil (didn’t have jojoba) and tried it on my husband’s hair, because I already had done mine. It feels so soft, awesome! Thank you for the recipe and if you ever want to try to make a recipe of my old time favorite trichomania shampoo I would be über-pleased!

Mina.

9. Giada 13 February 2016 at 21:30

I love your recipes, thanks for sharing 🙂

10. Steph 11 April 2016 at 03:37

Do these combinations of essential oils make it smell like the original? I’m infatuated with the smell of the product.

1. Felicia 3 May 2016 at 01:48

Id love to know that too.. i thought i smelled a hint of jasmine in the lush??

11. Liz 16 June 2016 at 21:54

Hi! I’m a huge fan of Lush R & B, as I have extremely curly and out of control hair. It’s really the only product that I’ve found to tame, moisturize and calm my curls! Although, the price is simply too high for me to continue buying it…. and I’m SOOO excited to have found your blog! I can’t wait to try this out. Thank you!!

12. Daniella 6 January 2017 at 23:29

so everything looked great until i tried to whip in my aloe vera gel… not sure if its because i later saw there there is a preservative agent in the brand but any tips?

13. Char 23 January 2017 at 05:37

Would this be ok to use on my skin as well? I have eczema and fragrance sensitivities. Super dry skin too.

1. The Makeup Dummy 23 January 2017 at 18:40

Hi Char, I would go with a simpler lotion recipe, like whipped Shea butter. Whisk 1 part of oil with 2 parts of Shea butter with a mixer until fluffy and smooth. I love it for dry skin!

14. HappyMe 26 January 2017 at 20:28

I have always used LUSH’s R&B and was happy to find a DIY recipe. I tried making this for myself and my two teenage daughters – but we all found it very heavy and it weighed our hair down? I didn’t have avocado butter so replaced it with shea butter, could that be the reason? any tips how I could fix it up so it gives a lighter feel on the hair? thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 19:16

I’ve never tried this recipe with Shea butter myself. If you want a lighter texture I would try adding more aloe vera gel!

15. Nikki 18 March 2017 at 03:35

I am wondering where I went wrong; my oils separated in my finished product and the texture is strange, almost applesauce-like? It’s not at all creamy like the Lush product, or like your photo. Any suggestions? Should I whisk it for a long time, and is it too late to fix it after everything has already been mixed together? Thanks!

16. Steph 10 June 2017 at 09:51

3C hair and I’m in love with your recipe. I’m a huge fan of the lush version but damn it’s expensive. This one is a great dupe. The second time I made the recipe, I replaced the olive oil with vegetable glycerin (I preferred the one with glycerin although it didn’t make a huge difference) and I both times I used ylang ylang essential oil simply because the scent is marvelous and it’s good for you hair.
    Thank you!

1. The Makeup Dummy 10 June 2017 at 11:12

Thanks Steph! I’m so glad you like my recipe! 🙂

17. Raquel 8 July 2017 at 07:44

Hi, I whipped up a jar of your R&B dupe and I wanted to tell you, I honestly like it so much more than the original! Thanks for sharing this recipe! 😀

18. Megan 25 August 2017 at 23:27

Do you use the unrefined avocado butter, or the refined butter?

1. The Makeup Dummy 26 August 2017 at 16:01

I prefer unrefined butters

1. Megan 12 September 2017 at 02:59

Thank you!

19. Megan 17 September 2017 at 16:08

I followed the recipe to the letter, ordering all the “unusual” ingredients from Amazon. When I first whipped it all together it looks just like the original Lush product. When I used it the next morning, the butters separated from the aloe vera gel. Is there an ingredient that I can try using instead of the aloe that will prevent the separation? Any suggestions for substitutions?

20. Lauren 20 November 2017 at 15:19

What are your storage tips? Is this a refrigerator must?

21. Megan McHugh 3 March 2018 at 21:16

My hair balm isn’t solidifying…any suggestions?

22. Pingback: 11 Lush Copycat Recipes to Make This Weekend – Carrie Fiter