DIY LUSH Buffy inspired Lotion Scrub Bars – NEW RECIPE

325 Shares

Now that I’m 6 months older and a savvier DIYer, I decided to pay a visit to an old friend.

I wanted to make a new batch of this shower favorite of mine. My original scrub bar only contained rice and almonds. Reading my own recipe, I realized I had actually picked up a bag of azuki beans since then during my DIY adventures. It’s a really nice exfoliant (and it gives the bar some pretty red speckles!).

What you’ll need:

• 2/3 cup of cocoa butter
  • 1/3 cup of Shea butter (you can use just 1 butter if you like)
  • 1/4 cup of
    • finely ground rice
    • finely ground almonds (or oatmeal)
    • finely ground azuki beans (or any kind of red beans)

You don’t have to use all of these and you can definitely play around with the proportions a bit.

• Optional: 12 drops of lavender and/or lemon essential oil

1. Melt the butter(s) in a double boiler

You can use all cocoa butter or all Shea butter, depending what you have at home. Shea butter melts easier so it’s a great option for winter times. Cocoa butter is a great option in the summer and if you live in a warm climate.

2. Ground your dry ingredients

You’ll need 1/4 cup of dry ingredients in total. You can definitely play with the proportions a bit. Personally, I really like almonds as an exfoliant. Ground rice is just a little bit too feisty for me.

The best way I’ve found to ground your rice and beans is in a coffee grinder! You need your dry ingredients to be super fine, almost like flour.

3. Mix the melted butter and dry ingredients together

Let the mixture solidify a bit, while you stir it now and again. The dry ingredients should be ‘floating’ in the butters. It’ll look horrible, but that’s ok. Scoop the mixture in your molds. Those flexible silicon ones for giant ice cubes were my weapon of choice.

This part has never changed: wait for your butter to completely solidify. Ideally you should leave them alone overnight. If you’re not very patient, like me, you can put them in the fridge.

4. Optional: add a couple of drops of essential oil

You can add essential oils to the mixture to give it an extra kick.

Buffy contains lemon and lavender oil, but you can choice whatever your nose desires.

Great cellulite-busting essential oils for example are Grapefruit, Juniper, Fennel, Cypress, Lemongrass and Rosemary oil.

Now, scrub away!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1. Pingback: DIY rice lotion scrub bars {similar to Lush Buffy} | The Makeup Dummy

2. Pingback: DIY Sea Shower Scrub {inspired by Lush Rub Rub Rub} | The Makeup Dummy

3. Stacey 15 December 2014 at 20:02

I made these last night (I used soap moulds and they fit perfectly into my existing Lush tin). My only question is whether yours separated? My red speckles all sunk to the bottom, and the rice on top. It looks gorgeous, but just wondering where I erred.

1. The Makeup Dummy 15 December 2014 at 20:16

Hi! The best way is to wait until the butters and oils have cooled down and thickened and then stir it all together. Hope that helps the next time you make them!

4. Pingback: DIY Salty Volume Shampoo {inspired by Lush BIG} | The Makeup Dummy

5. Wallis Lahtinen-Hicks 10 October 2016 at 23:26

I am out of cocoa butter. Can I use Kokum butter or mango, kokum and shea?

1. Lely 17 October 2016 at 23:26

Hi! I’m not the blog owner but I think Kokum butter and shea should be a great combo. The butters in the recipe are to moisturize and Kokum is an all time favorite for that purpose.

6. Tim 20 March 2017 at 04:12

This looks great, I really want to try it. Do I need to add lye to this recipe? Or is this a Lye free soap bar?

1. The Makeup Dummy 20 March 2017 at 11:31

Hi Tim, these are scrub bars not soap bars so you don’t need any lye! 🙂

1. Tim 23 March 2017 at 03:22

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the quick reply. I’m going to try making some this week.

7. Brenna 30 March 2017 at 17:24

With this recipe how many bars do you yield? Thank you!!! (I have the large square silicone ice cube molds)

1. The Makeup Dummy 2 April 2017 at 10:35

I’d say at least 2 or 3!

8. Annette Fournier 7 May 2017 at 01:35

Never put a citrus essential oil in anything being left on the skin exposed to direct sunlight as cold pressed citrus is phototoxic a d can cause red rash and even burns.

9. Erika S 7 May 2018 at 15:41

I just tried this, however it took FOREVER for my mix to start to solidify. I wasn’t sure if I should pour into molds while still a pure liquid? So it’s hardened in my mixing bowl. Don’t think that’s a problem as I should be able to remelt it, but the hardened mix seems to have pockets of softer butter – think maybe I should reduce the shea butter?

1. Ina | The Makeup Dummy 9 May 2018 at 20:33

Hi Erika! It can take a while to solidify. You can pop it in the fridge to speed up the process! I let my mixture thicken to make sure all of the scrubbing ingredients won’t just float to the bottom, give it a good stir and then pour the mixture in the molds. There shouldn’t be softer pieces of butter in your mixture though … Maybe the Shea butter wasn’t completely melted?