DIY All natural Balayage Hair Highlights (step by step)

When I explain to people how I lighten my hair at home, it’s often followed by a slightly tilted head, a subtle dropped jaw and a silent pause.

I guess the fact that I maintain my balayage hairdo with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide has to sink in a little for some people.

Therefore, exclusively on my blog, their silent questions answered:

Does it work?

Well, yes! After one application, my hair is visibly lighter. It went from a medium brown to a convincing blonde, and even a white blonde if I wanted to.

Isn’t peroxide the same harsh chemical stuff that damages your hair?

No! The 3% hydrogen peroxide that you buy at the drugstore isn’t.

Isn’t this all just a little bit too much of a fuzz?

It’s really just 2 simple ingredients that I pick up when I go grocery shopping. The method is pretty much the same as you would go about with store bought hair dye. And you spent less time trying to fix your hair afterwards.

To sum up, a list of all very good reasons to DIY your balayage at home:

• it’s less damaging for your hair
  • it’s very, very cheap
  • you get a more natural (read: less streaky) effect
  • it lightens like crazy

Test it first! Try it on a section of hair that you can’t really see when your hair is down or in a ponytail. Rinse the mixture out after 20 minutes and look at the result.

So, let’s get started! This is what I do:

Baking Soda en Hydrogen Peroxide: perfect hair lightning
Mix equal parts of Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking soda. Feel free to wing it. It just has to form a paste.
DIY natural hair lightning spray
Wear a button down shirt you’re not very fond off. Section off your hair in strands. I like to spray each strand with hydrogen peroxide before I apply the paste, to give it an extra kick. If you’re going to keep the peroxide in a spraying bottle make sure it’s a darker one.
All natural DIY balayage for your hair
Distribute the paste evenly over the section of hair. You can wear gloves if you want to.
How to DIY balayage at home
wrap it in some aluminum foil.
Blast them with heat for a few seconds every 15 minutes. Don’t leave the mixture in for longer than an hour! Rinse it out and wash your hair like you normally would.

You won’t look like a bottle blonde straight away, but that’s the beauty of it. The effect is so natural, people will think you’re a real blonde.

Afterwards I like to use a hot oil mask to give my hair a treat. And my DIY highlights hair mask even helps to maintain my new do at the same time! I bring out the highlights even more by spraying a DIY hair lightening spray on my wet hair after I shower.

If you want your hair to be lighter re-do this 2 weeks later on the same sections.

My hair turns out less coppery than when I used one of those hair lightning sprays. If your hair turns out a little too orange though, you can always use the magic that is silver shampoo.

Enjoy your highlighted hair!

1. alifemoment 17 May 2014 at 15:28

Full of nice tips, great post !!! 🙂

2. Pingback: My Ultimate Guide to Blonde Shampoos | The Make Up Dummy

3. Jen 4 June 2014 at 13:03

It looks cool !! I want to ask you What is the difference between damage and less damage?

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 June 2014 at 18:47

Those lightning sprays made my hair dry and brittle. With this trick I hardly notice anything after a good hair mask. Everyone’s hair is different though!

4. Pingback: DIY instant sunkissed HOT highlights | The Makeup Dummy

5. Pingback: DIY finishing hair lightning spray | The Makeup Dummy

6. ester 4 September 2014 at 15:53

My hair is coloured, the original color was blond-brown-ish? And now it is dark brown. Do you think this could help me get rid of the darkness of my hair? I want to dye with a brighten color but i dont want to ruin my hair so much.

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 September 2014 at 21:10

Hi! I’ve never tried it on colored hair but I wouldn’t use this. I would use olive oil. It can remove some of the dye, making your hair lighter. Use my hot oil treatment without the lemon juice.

You can also spray your hair with chamomile tea and see if you like how your color looks. You can use my DIY lightening spray, again without the lemon juice. Both of these are really good for your hair as well!

If these didn’t work you can research washing your hair with just baking soda (and shampoo). I hope you find the method that works for you! X

7. blondempire 16 December 2014 at 22:00

Is there a picture of your finished product?

1. The Makeup Dummy 12 January 2015 at 20:01

Hi! Picture # 2 gives you a pretty good idea of my hair color before and after. Once the sun comes back I’ll take some new pictures of my highlighted hair!

8. Pingback: Countdown: The Best of 2014 {aka My Most Popular Posts} | The Makeup Dummy

9. Anonymous 10 April 2015 at 16:48

I don’t think anyone would follow this unless you put up a finished picture of your hair….#2 is not enough reason for me to try this method

10. Pingback: DIY | JF Go Blonder inspired Hair Lightening Spray | The Makeup Dummy

11. Pingback: DIY finishing Hair Lightening spray | The Makeup Dummy

12. Anonymous 4 June 2015 at 13:15

No! Does not work! I did it , I stayed 20 min. No, wasting of time.

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 June 2015 at 18:13

Did you use heat? I leave mine in for an hour and apply heat with a hair dryer every 15 minutes. It really speeds up the process. Hope you find a lightening method that works for you!

13. Jennifer Neiffer 25 July 2016 at 18:00

There is no picture of the results… And in the pictures posted, your looks auburn and coppery, not blonde at all…

14. april aquino 10 April 2017 at 14:50

is it optional if I don’t put any DIY high lighting mask and high lighting spray? can it still works without any of those?