DIY LUSH BIG inspired Salty Volume Shampoo

I have to admit, I was a lil’ sceptical of the idea of putting salt in my hair. I always heard it damages your hair like crazy.

And when I see pictures of myself after a day at the beach, I can’t argue.

Until I heard it helps to get rid of oils. Every few weeks I treat my hair to a homemade oil hair mask. My hair loves me for it, but the oils don’t always want to leave my hair. Believers of sea salt say it adds volume and shine to your hair. It’s said to be a good remedy against dandruff and help with oily hair. Time to give it a try!

What you’ll need:

• 3 – 7 tbsp. Coarse sea salt, depending on the thickness of your shampoo
  • 1/2 cup Shampoo
  • 1 tbsp. Coconut oil

1. Melt your coconut oil

Over a heat source, like this candle: DIY Lush Big Sea Salt Volume Shampoo: Melt coconut oil | The Makeup Dummy If you’re going to use this to remove oils out of your hair, I suggest leaving the coconut oil out. The last thing you want is to add even more oil to your hair.

2. Add your sea salt

Depending on the thickness of your shampoo you will need more or less salt. Start by adding about 3 tablespoons.

3. Fill up the rest with shampoo

I used a 150 ml container. You can use whatever shampoo you like. I suggest clear or white shampoo, because the salt can change the colors of your shampoo. I found that the salt really intensified the smell of the shampoo. Mine smells like sweet, sweet passionfruit.  I used Henna shampoo for blonde hair. henna shampoo blonde hair Let it sit overnight. Check if you like the consistency the next morning/afternoon, you can add more salt if you like. If it’s gotten too thick, add more shampoo.

Does it work?

When your hair is naturally ‘wavy’ like mine, volume is the last thing on your mind. However, I was pleasantly surprised to feel how much hair I had when I wanted to make a ponytail later that day! So volume? Check! The salt rinses out very easily (I was expecting a little bit of an uprising here), but the first time it didn’t lather up as much as I wanted to. So I filled the rest of the container to the nook with shampoo. After a few days the salt absorbed most of the shampoo, so it looked like rice pudding again. Since then, I can make myself a bubble crown once again.

Enjoy your Lushious Voluminous hair!

1. Pingback: DIY Sea Shower Scrub {inspired by Lush Rub Rub Rub} | DIY Therapy

2. Jen 4 June 2014 at 12:59

What ?? You wash your hair with salty shampoo and it doesn’t hurt you hair impossible !!

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 June 2014 at 18:43

Yeah, I was surprised too!! I wouldn’t recommend it if you have very dry hair though.

3. Pingback: DIY instant sunkissed HOT highlights | The Makeup Dummy

4. Stefanie 15 June 2014 at 07:38

You say “fill up the rest with shampoo” but I’m missing what size container you are recommending??

1. The Makeup Dummy 16 June 2014 at 21:30

It’s a 150 ml container (thanks, I added it to the description!! 🙂 )

5. Pingback: DIY Moisturizing Hair Mask Smoothie | The Makeup Dummy

6. Pingback: DIY Cuticle Cream – and all over miracle-worker {inspired by Lush Lemony Flutter} | The Makeup Dummy

7. Pingback: DIY All Natural Hair Detangler Spray | The Makeup Dummy

8. Freyja Isobel Dennison 2 October 2014 at 13:02

Hey- just wondering if you had any tips on how to make it thicker? mine seems to be very watery and the salt has all settled at the bottom 🙁 I’ve put it in the fridge hoping this may thicken the coconut oil a bit.

1. The Makeup Dummy 4 October 2014 at 18:23

Hi! The salt should absorb the shampoo after a while. My shampoo keeps getting thicker the longer it sits in my bathroom. If it doesn’t thicken, it might be the type of shampoo you used… You can just stir together the salt and shampoo before each use and it will work just as well!

9. Pingback: DIY Moisturizing Hair Balm {inspired by Lush R&B} | The Makeup Dummy

10. Nat 13 December 2014 at 21:44

Awesome! I’m sick of paying 27 bucks for this stuff, dude. Way to help a sister out.

11. Pingback: Countdown: The Best of 2014 {aka My Most Popular Posts} | The Makeup Dummy

12. caitlinnn34 31 December 2014 at 05:22

Can you use just normal salt instead of sea salt? Or does it have to be sea salt?

1. The Makeup Dummy 31 December 2014 at 22:09

I’ve never tried it but I don’t think it will work… You can rinse the coarse sea salt right out and that’s what makes it so great! If you get a chance it’s really worth buying coarse sea salt. Good luck!

1. caitlinnn34 2 January 2015 at 18:52

If I don’t use sea salt would normal salt just like stay in my hair or what? Like salt is salt right?

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 January 2015 at 13:34

It’s the fact that sea salt is coarse and table salt is fine that makes the difference. If you use fine table salt I think the shampoo will become a gooey mess. It might work, but I’ve never tried it 🙂 Hope this helps!

13. tiffany 1 January 2015 at 12:49

This worked great! I love your lush dupes. Have you considered trying to dupe the healing hands cream? It’s I’ve of my faves. I also love your version of ultrabland. Please keep these coming! 🙂

1. The Makeup Dummy 3 January 2015 at 12:31

Thank you sooo much for such a sweet comment!! I’ve actually wanted to make this before 🙂 I’m checking out the ingredients as we speak! Keep coming back to see my recipe! 😉

14. Trisha 23 January 2015 at 15:47

Hello! greetings from the philippines :] i just found out about that Lush shampoo and its way to expensive for me, and there no lemons near where i live :[ is it okay if ican substitute it with Calamansi, the “philippine lemon”? thanks for the recipe :] <3

1. The Makeup Dummy 6 February 2015 at 18:50

Mmmm… sounds delicious, I’m so jealous ! I’ve never tried it so I’m not sure, but you can definitely leave it out and just use sea salt and coconut oil ! Let me know how it goes !

15. Alana Hunter 1 February 2015 at 19:01

I just made it yesterday and it was fantastic! Added a few drops of citrus essential oils for fragrance and a little color – looks and smells great! Thank you for the recipe! Saved me 27 bucks and boosted my DIY confidence. LOL

1. The Makeup Dummy 6 February 2015 at 18:42

Thank YOU for making my week with your comment ! 🙂 I hope you keep on DIYing !

16. Heather 11 March 2015 at 18:46

I love this. I used Castile soap & it’s gotten quite thick. Do you think adding distilled water would hurt?

1. The Makeup Dummy 14 March 2015 at 16:40

I would add more soap instead of water. Let me know how it goes!

17. Zoe 24 March 2015 at 07:20

Hi Ina,

Are you sure about the 6 tablespoons of sea salt? I only did 3tblspn’s and my shampoo got so thick I could mold it into a solid shampoo!

🙂 🙂 🙂

1. The Makeup Dummy 24 March 2015 at 20:16

Haha, yes that’s what I used for my version 🙂 Maybe it depends on the shampoo?

2. Hannahlee 7 April 2015 at 22:40

I used Dr. Bronner’s castile soap and it turned out really solid too! It still works, but I usually have to shampoo twice with it, so I’ll keep experimenting in the future. I used Yes to Carrots shampoo last time and it didn’t thicken up as much, but it also didn’t seem to work as well.

1. The Makeup Dummy 8 April 2015 at 23:16

Hmmm, interesting… Now that I think about it, the Henna shampoo that I use is very liquidy. I changed the recipe to 3 ‘or more’ tablespoons. Someday soon I might experiment with different kinds of shampoo. Thanks girls!

18. Carina 22 May 2015 at 13:57

Thank you so much for posting this!!
    My hair is always incredibly curly after swimming in the pool or sea, using sea salt shampoo creates the same beautiful effect.
    However, I used a cheap bottle of shampoo, and it went very thin and liquidy. Next time, I will use a better shampoo.
    My next adventure will be a homemade lush cupcake facemask!
    Keep up the diy x

19. Pingback: A Big Cup Of Me

20. JaneSuzanneCarroll 5 July 2015 at 19:09

I tried this today and I’m very impressed with the results! I have very dry (and enormously curly) hair so I won’t use it as an everyday thing but it made my scalp feel great and it’s definitely given my curls a bit of extra bounce. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

21. Sarah 25 July 2015 at 00:54

I’d Love to try to tackle the Curly Wurly shampoo. Any plans to dupe it?

22. Georgie 23 June 2016 at 11:42

So do you condition as normal after washing it out? Looks great btw, thanks!

1. The Makeup Dummy 23 June 2016 at 17:29

Yes, I do. But you can do what works for you!

23. Michaela 3 December 2016 at 21:54

How long with this stay good for? I know natural products go bad quicker, but will the salt preserve it a bit more?

24. Sarah 26 January 2017 at 16:13

What a lovely recipe! Could you break down the 1 to 1 lemon juice step? I’m so new to DIY and I’m not sure what you mean…
    I am a TERRIBLE baker and have a history of messing up quite simple recipes.

1. The Makeup Dummy 17 February 2017 at 19:26

Sure Sarah! You have to add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the melted coconut oil. You can add an extra half tablespoon of lemon juice if you like. In the same container you can add the other ingredients (salt + shampoo).

25. Mia 19 February 2017 at 15:30

That was an absolute SHOCKER! Thin, salt sank, not foaming, what a fecking disaster of a recipe!!
    Don’t make this!!

1. The Makeup Dummy 22 February 2017 at 17:14

That’s weird, I’ve made this recipe several times and I’ve never had any of these problems. You do have to let it sit overnight for it to thicken. What kind of shampoo did you use?

26. Jackie 4 March 2017 at 17:32

Is this formula safe for colored hair? i would not want all by gray coming out!

27. Brooke 15 March 2017 at 13:48

Could you use Epsom salt instead of sea salt? It’s course, so I’m wondering if it would have a similar effect. 🙂

28. Pingback: DIY: Recept voor Lush Big shampoo! – de kunst van consuminderen

29. Crystal 24 September 2017 at 14:03

Is the sea salt suppose to turn to curds?

1. The Makeup Dummy 24 September 2017 at 15:23

Hmm … not really. The shampoo is supposed to thicken and start to look like rice pudding.

30. Carmen 3 February 2018 at 10:13