DIY LUSH Dream Cream inspired Body Lotion

Oh yes, this is my recipe inspired by the famous Lush Dream Cream.

This DIY version is not that hard to make, with simple ingredients and not a single wax in sight.

This is the third time I’ve changed this recipe. This tutorial was one of the first recipes I shared on my blog and a lot has changed since I published this four years ago.

I now finally have a completely anhydrous recipe, this means that it’s not a water based formula or has water soluble ingredients in it. This means that if you keep all water out of your recipe and take good care of it, it has a longer shelf life of up to 6 months. If you want, you can add a broad spectrum preservative to this recipe.

In conclusion, this is a very simplified version of the original product. I only kept the main moisturizing ingredients. These few all natural ingredients are all it takes to give your skin the moisture it deserves.

What I used:

6 tablespoons (2.1 oz) cocoa butter or use Shea butter

6 tablespoons (1.1 oz) olive oil

1/2 tablespoon vitamin E oil (optional)

Optional: essential oils I used rose geranium, tea tree and lavender – other options include rose absolute and blue chamomile oil

To help you find the ingredients you need for this tutorial I’ve added links in this post to places you can find them online. I’m part of the Amazon affiliate program so I get a small commission when you buy something via these links. For me it’s a win-win and I spend that money to make more bath bomb tutorials for you 🙂 But feel free to Google the ingredients to find your own or buy them from local vendors in your area!

1. Melt your butter

Your cocoa butter. Or another cosmetic grade butter of your choice. Why not go for Shea, avocado or mango butter?

Get your double boiler going. For a double boiler you need a heat proof pot with a few inches of water in. Put it on the stove on low heat. When the water gets hot (not boiling), put a smaller heat proof container inside of it (like a small sauce pan or glass cup). Melt the butter in your double boiler until it’s completely liquid.

You can also melt the cocoa butter in the microwave. Melt on a low setting and check regularly to make sure you don’t overheat the butter.

2. Stir in your olive oil

For once, this cream calls for the easiest option available. No exotic names, no difficult infusions. Just plain ol’ olive oil. But feel free to use whatever carrier oil you like!

Take your butter off the heat and gently stir in the oil.

Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.

Let the melted mixture set to room temperature, until it’s no longer transparent and has thickened to a cream like consistency. To speed up the process you can cover the bowl and put in the fridge.

Copycat Dream Cream LUSH dupe recipe tutorial! DIY by The Makeup Dummy

3. Just a few drops of essential oils

Once your body lotion mixture has thickened, we’re going to add our vitamin E oil and essential oils.

Vitamin E oil is an antioxidant, which helps the oils in your homemade body lotion from going rancid.

Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils. I added 3 drops of rose geranium, 1 drop of tea tree and 3 drops of lavender essential oil.

Mixing time!

Now you can whip it into a lotion.

Use an electric whisk that as a low setting. I have one that comes with a lid, which is great for keeping the mixture from flying everywhere.

Here’s a video-tutorial if you want to see how I whip my body lotion into shape!

Tadaa, you now have your very own lotion!

Use it up right after you make it and keep a careful eye out for signs of spoilage!

Also check the expiration date of all your ingredients before you make this cream. If one of the ingredients is about to expire, your lotion is too. I also like to swipe all of the utensils and containers I use with rubbing alcohol, to make everything as sterile as possible.

Keep the cream in a clean, dark and airtight container. Also keep your fingers out as much as possible (yes, even clean ones). And keep all water out! I use a new spoon to scoop out a little product every time I use it.

How To Use this Body Lotion:

This isn’t the kind of lotion you use after your quick morning shower. It’s what you use after your Sunday, candle lit, rose petalled bath or your relaxing shower before bed.

A little goes a very long way with this DIY body lotion. It doesn’t sink into the skin right away, so make sure to really massage it into your skin. Now it’s time to get some beauty sleep, so it can silently work on your beautiful skin.

Great, now I feel like taking a long, candle lit, rose petalled bath.

Enjoy your beautiful skin cream!

Ina

You might also like:

Make your own LUSH inspired DIY Bath Bombs with Epsom Salt! Copycat tutorial by The Makeup DummyHow-To-make-Intergalactic-Galaxy-Bath-Bomb-Fizzies-inspired-by-LUSH-its-easy-cheap-and-fun-to-make-yourself-Tutorial-by-The-Makeup Dummy

1. Pingback: DIY ‘Make me Shine’ and ‘Bronze me Beautiful’ Lotion Bars | The Make Up Dummy

2. Shannon Anderson 6 June 2014 at 16:03

what is the difference between blue chamomile and any other type of chamomile?

1. The Makeup Dummy 7 June 2014 at 15:36

The most common kinds are roman and blue chamomile. They are very similar and you can use both of them for this DIY! Blue chamomile is a better anti-inflammatory though and it’s particularly good for dry or irritated skin. Hope this helps! 🙂

3. Pingback: DIY Avocado Eye Cream {inspired by Kiehl’s Eye Treatment} | The Makeup Dummy

4. Jessica 1 August 2014 at 20:22

Great recipe, what would you assume the shelf life to be though with the rosewater?

1. The Makeup Dummy 10 August 2014 at 17:57

Hi! Mine lasted a good 2 – 3 weeks (until I had finished it). It’s more the oat milk in this recipe that’s a bit tricky… Use a pump bottle instead of scooping it out with your fingers and add a squirt of vitamin e oil, that’ll help a lot. I’m working on a new recipe with a longer shelf life!

1. Anonymous 29 September 2014 at 02:12

How do I make oat milk? Is there somewhere I can buy it?

Thank you for this!!

1. The Makeup Dummy 1 October 2014 at 19:10

It’s best to make your own. It’s really easy. Put 1 part oats and 3 parts rose water in a blender. Blend it all together. Strain it through a sieve. Throw away the oat pulp and you have oat milk!

5. Ana 26 August 2014 at 03:24

Thank you for all the duplicate recipes you created. They are very resourceful. I have two questions for you about the dupes:
    1. How do you figure out which and how much of each ingredient to use?
    2. In the future, can you possibly make a duplicate recipe of LUSH Cosmetics R&B hair moisturizer?

1. The Makeup Dummy 31 August 2014 at 17:01

Thank you so much!! To answer your first question: the ingredients of all skin care products are always written on the package. As far as the proportions go: after a lot of failed batches you kinda know what works and what doesn’t 😉 And to answer your second question: yay, a challenge!! I gladly accept it! I’ll keep you updated when I’ve come up with a DIY recipe!

1. Ana 3 September 2014 at 01:56

Thanks for answering! I have dry and VERY curly hair, so it will benefit me greatly. I’m really excited to see what you’ll post! 🙂

1. The Makeup Dummy 1 October 2014 at 21:57

I made the recipe and my hair loves it!! If all goes well I’ll post it this weekend!

6. Pingback: DIY Cuticle Cream – and all over miracle-worker {inspired by LUSH Lemony Flutter} | The Makeup Dummy

7. eliseyloo 19 November 2014 at 21:35

Hi, if I messed up the emulsification process, how can I salvage this and still put it to some use?

Thanks!

Elise H

1. The Makeup Dummy 21 November 2014 at 22:21

Hi! Haha, don’t worry it has happened to all of us 😉 Pour the liquid that remained on top down the drain and mix the rest once more with a spoon. Your cream will be a little thicker, but still very usable! Let me know how it works out!

8. Erica 30 November 2014 at 20:29

I would love to try this but I’ve never made cream before. Do I need to use an electric mixer? If so, would I be able to use my magic bullet or do you recommend I get a handheld mixer?

1. The Makeup Dummy 13 December 2014 at 23:26

A handheld mixer works best, but a whisk works too. You can try using a magic bullet, but I’ve never tried that before. Good luck!!

9. Anonymous 11 December 2014 at 21:57

Hi,
    How many droplets of vitamin E should I add? And how long will the cream be usable with those amounts of droplets?

10. pipsnotes 14 December 2014 at 00:35

Hi, how Manu droplets of vitamin e should I use on 50 ml? How long will the product be save from germs and stuff?

1. The Makeup Dummy 14 December 2014 at 20:58

Hi! 1 or 2 drops should be enough for 50 ml, but you can always add more. It’s hard to give an expiration date… Start using your cream as soon as you made it, and I’d say finish it within a month. X

11. Pingback: Countdown: The Best of 2014 {aka My Most Popular Posts} | The Makeup Dummy

12. Trisha Bhaumik 23 December 2014 at 17:55

I love all the techniques and tips you share . I love DIYing with you. Thanks for sharing the recipes .

1. The Makeup Dummy 28 December 2014 at 17:29

That’s such an incredibly nice thing to say!! I love that you’re DIYing with me too! Thank you for commenting.

13. Pingback: DIY LUSH BIG inspired Salty Volume Shampoo | The Makeup Dummy

14. the crafty b 11 January 2015 at 19:49

What preservative do you recommend besides Vitamin E? It doesn’t always protect against bacteria and yeasty-beasties & I sure as check don’t want an infection. Is optiphen good?

1. The Makeup Dummy 12 January 2015 at 19:53

Hi! Haha, no we don’t want that! I don’t have much experience with preservatives. I make small batches, keep them in the fridge and use pump up bottles when I can. I’m also working on a water-free version! Maybe someone else here can help? X

2. Anonymous 20 April 2015 at 23:29

You can use Neem oil, it’s naturally antibacterial, anti fungal etc…

15. Pingback: Oat Milk Recipe and much more :) | Sharing is Caring

16. lif 8 February 2015 at 16:20

Hi, i just create this today and I am thrilled. I use aloe vera gel and it works well

17. natalimhumi 3 March 2015 at 09:54

Excelent post! I need to try it! My “Angels on Bare Skin” was a complete success!! Let´s go for Dream Cream!! http://sanosanisimo.blogs.elle.es

18. Pingback: DIY LUSH R&B inspired Moisturizing Hair Balm | The Makeup Dummy

19. Emma West 16 May 2015 at 00:12

How much does this recipe make? And how similar to dream cream is it? Also is it ok to use hempseed oil as the essential oil?

20. Pingback: DIY Moisturizing Hair Balm {inspired by Lush R&B} – NEW RECIPE | The Makeup Dummy

21. Priya 20 December 2015 at 09:21

This is lovely. the texture is very close to the original. but can you help with a recipe with emulsifier added in. Hope adding optiphen at 1% will give an extended shelf life.

One more request can you please please post a recipe for Lush “Sympathy for Skin” I just lovvvve it..

22. Taylor 21 January 2016 at 23:30

Is there any difference in this than the one with the oat milk and water? I just tried that one and it separated but I still need something for my face, would this still work okay?

23. Tiff 9 November 2016 at 20:30

How many ounces does this recipe make?

24. Yadira 4 July 2017 at 19:41

This is amazing, however, I’ve tried to make this without the emulsifier and it always separates. Could you tell me how much emulsifier I should use for this recipe? How many teaspoons, ounces, whichever?

Thanks!!

25. Alexander 6 January 2018 at 19:59

This is great, and the first of your recipes I’ll test out. Are you still creating Lushalikes? If so, I’d love to learn how to make their Dreamtime bath melt and the Flying Fox shower gel. Flying Fox was discontinued and is sorely missed at our house. 🙂

26. Alana 17 May 2018 at 03:54

No water but you have water soluble ingredient (aloe vera, oatmeal and glycerin) here which still count as “water” so you still need preservative for this recipe

And again no, you can’t use vit e as preservative